Replacing gas tank in my '65 Dart...

-

53ryder

Reaction score
I bought my '65 Dart about one month ago. The sellers told me it had been sitting for about 4 years. The gas gauge gives various reading so I really wasn't sure how much gas was in the tank. Wasn't sure how old the gas was either.

Last Saturday I took my Dart to a brake shop for an inspection (found one cylinder leaking). On the way I pumped in 2 gallons of Chevron Premium. This was the first time I have added any gas since I bought the car. On the way home from the shop I noticed the car really shaking whenever I'd try to accelerate. Got the car home.

I was wondering if adding the Chevron Premium to whatever was in the tank already was causing problems. Or is the tank suspect? Looks fairly old. Not sure if it's the original or not but it looks like it has been there for a while.

Sunday afternoon the car wouldn't start. Turns over real nice but would not catch. So I looked seriously at the fuel filter and saw a very dark one. See picture below. The one on the right is the one that came with the car. The one on the left is a new one from Oreilly's.

So I put in a new filter. While doing this some gas ran back out of the old filter spilling around. Later I noticed some very orange colored stain on various parts of the fan and lower pulley. The residue left after the spilled gas evaporated. When I touched it it came off like a powder. I'm thinking rust and crap.

So today I siphoned off 10 gallons of gas in an attempt to empty the tank. I filled two 5 gallons gas cans. Whenever I would remove the tube I placed inside the tank it would have little dark colored debris stuck on in. So I'm convinced the tank is full or rust and Lord only knows what else!

I admit that the car not starting may be something else like a bad coil or some other electrical issue.

I'm convinced the gas tank needs to come out! I don't want to try starting it any more until there's a new tank in place and fresh gas in it. I see there appears to be one strap holding the tank in place. The strap is held at either end by a bolt and some sort of attachment. So once I loosen or remove the strap will the tank drop down some? I realize it will still be connect to the gas filler tube and the sending unit. What will be next? Remove the sending unit, using a brass tube and a rubber mallet to eliminate sparks? Then remove the tank from the fuel filler tube?

Any help sure would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_4228.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 271
The neighbor said the gas smells bad. I can imagine that since who knows how long it's been sitting in the tank?

Glenn

If it were me I would drop the tank and flush it out the best you can. Depending on how rusted the tank is you should be able to flush it out but be prepared to spend some time on it. All the lines need to be cleaned also and any rubber lines in the fuel system need to be replaced. Check to see if the carb has a screen on the supply tube. Most people overlook that.

Orange is bad. I pulled the tank and flushed it a few times with solvent then fresh gas. For the next couple years I changed the filter 3 or 4 times a summer. Finally I put a new tank, sender, line kit and clips on my to buy list and over the winter I bought those parts. I installed them in the spring and haven't had a single problem or orange fuel filter since. I also put a kit in the carb and it was orange inside too. The quicker you replace those fuel delivery parts the better. tmm
Here's where I got some parts: http://www.gastanks.com/

Flush it with what? Naw...I think I want to get a fresh new one in her.

Glenn

Orange is bad. I pulled the tank and flushed it a few times with solvent then fresh gas. For the next couple years I changed the filter 3 or 4 times a summer. Finally I put a new tank, sender, line kit and clips on my to buy list and over the winter I bought those parts. I installed them in the spring and haven't had a single problem or orange fuel filter since. I also put a kit in the carb and it was orange inside too. The quicker you replace those fuel delivery parts the better. tmm
Here's where I got some parts: http://www.gastanks.com/

Thanks for the link! How much did you get dinged for shipping?

Glenn

A few years ago. I can't remember but..........I was on a budget and it was worth every penny. tmm contact them, they can estimate freight. Get a new strap too...do it right.

A few years ago. I can't remember but..........I was on a budget and it was worth every penny. tmm contact them, they can estimate freight. Get a new strap too...do it right.

I sent them an email already. I'll wait to see what they say.

Glenn

I took my tank off and it was bad, I had a good spare but the inside was coated in bad gas, I took the tank to the car wash and pressure washed the inside clean and emptied the water

I allowed it to dry for 3 days and it was good to go

As abv said Glenn, replace all rubber hoses/lines, also I would use a steel fuel filter instead of the plastic one. New tank should be had for under $200. Undo the battery before taking anything apart so there is no voltage/sparks.

Yep, you could pull the tank and flush it. Look inside with a flashlight and see how bad it really is. Replace the filter and look at it at least once a week. You be the judge whether it is getting rusty too soon. A new tank will fix the problem for as long as you own the car. tmm

After I drain/siphon as much gas as I can then:

Undo battery...
Put rear axle on jackstands?
Remove strap?

I'll get to you all when I'm that far!

Glenn

After the steps you mention, if you have the fuel line disconnected to the sender and the wire off you just drop the passenger side down and rock it a bit and it should slide off the filler tube.

After the steps you mention, if you have the fuel line disconnected to the sender and the wire off you just drop the passenger side down and rock it a bit and it should slide off the filler tube.

Good info!

Glenn

I had the same problem with my 67 fish car. The gas was bad, the tank was rotten and rusty and the pickup sock was nowhere to be found. The bad "gas" in the tank got sucked up into the pump and clogged it as well. I would recommend you replace everything since tanks are cheap these days. Get a new pickup screen too and take your pump off and either replace it or shake the old crap out of it. Don't forget to also replace the filler gasket because your old one is brittle and won't seal.

You may want to spray the grommet sealing the filler tube with PB Blaster or silicon lube like twice a day for a couple days before you drop the tank so it's less likely to stick to the tube when removing. Also add a new grommet to your list of parts to buy if the tank doesn't come with one.

I replaced the old tank when I got my 64 Dart (rusted through). It was pretty easy and straightforward. Just watch out you don't crumple or tear your new filler tube grommet on re-install (ask me how I know). I also put in a new sending unit and also did all new lines all the way to the carb and added an extra filter as well. In for a penny, in for a pound. You only want to do this once and you also want peace of mind about the fuel system, so it's worth the $$ to do it right with all new parts. Same with the brakes.

The tank is held by the strap and is a slip fit onto the filler tube with a rubber donut looking gasket. As said, remove gas, remove strap and start wiggling her off the filler tube. BRass mallet or punch on the sender ring. Once you get it off and drained, put some pool acid or super radiator flush in it and some pachinco ball in there (or big ball bearings or sling shot ammo) and shake it all around. the balls help dislodge the rust and crud. If that is not doable, then a brass grill brush hose clamped onto a piece of pipe. Get into the sender hold and start scrubbing the bottom. Then a trip to the car wash or high pressure cleaner. There is a tank cleaner/sealer you can buy that supposed to do it with less effort but if you got it out, nothing beats a good physical cleaning followed by the wash. get yourself a new sock for the pickup and run a plastic filter inline with a metal filter (plastic first) so you can see what is going on. That gas you siphoned smells like thinner? Put it into your lawn mower or slant six, thats all its good for (and youll have a heck of a time starting those too)

I just recycled the old gas today at my county hazardous waste dump. Man that stuff smells funky! Phew!

Glenn

New gas tank, new sending unit, new metal strainer in sending unit, new fuel lines from tank to pump and from pump to carb.

Should I replace anything from the gas cap on quarter panel to the tank? What makes sense? How far should I take this? Any ideas?

While money is an object, I can go up to about $500 on parts while supplying my own labor.

Glenn

Just examine the filler tube in the are where the sealing ring seats. If that is rusty or got a bunch of crud on it clean it prior to installing the new tank.

The tank is off. Spent more time getting the car up on jackstands than taking the tank off. The inside of the tank is just covered with rust and crap.

The third picture show the end of the filler that is closest to the tank itself. The grommet goes around that end. That end is very rusty but the end where the gas nozzle goes in is fairly clean. Was wondering if I could clean off the rusty end enough to just reused it? What would you all recommend to clean off the rust and crap?

The last picture is of the last gallon of gas in the tank that I poured out into a 5 gallon gas can. I saved a sample to show you all the lovely carmel looking gas I have. Yummy! I'll have to show another picture of the bottom of the jar and the ring of crap that has settled in the bottom.

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_4229.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_4230.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4232.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_4233.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 219
Hey Glen, you've gone this far, I would replace the tank. As for the filler, I would sandblast it or wirewheel it and I think it would be good. Put the gas in yer lawnmower....

Don't put that gas in your lawn mower! Small engine jets are tiny compared to auto carbs. You'll have problems with your mower too! Let it evaporate!

-
Back