Replacing speedometer cable tips

-

williaml

Reaction score
Replacing speedometer cable and gear has anyone ever replace the cable from the speedometer back to the transmission.

Thanks
Bill

Band-aids for your arms .....LOL other than that I think its pretty straight fwd, I havent done one in a while. Once the old one is removed, just feed the new one in from the bottom, make sure to leave the new one unhooked from the trans until its fed thru under the dash. I believe once the cover is off the trans the gear is readily accessible.
Good luck, compare the gears to make sure they are the same...I think there are notches in the trans cover for the different colored gears...I think...

Bill if your just replacing the cable. Pull it out frrom the top. Measure the
lenght of it next to the orignal. Figure an extra 1/8 to 1/4 inch for the new
end for the speedo guage end. Most times when you cut it to lenght, you
will get a few wires fray. Sand them down a little. Heat the cable with a
lighter or a small mini torch. Just enough to melt the plastic in the new cable
end.Push it on and keep it held straight till it cools. DONT over heat it! You
will get all the plastic running out. Like I said a lighter works best.

Before you install the new cable make sure you lube it.Had one last a week before the speedo started to bounce,when i pulled the inside cable out it was very dry,or at least check it before you install it.

I bought a new cable. One specifically made for my 65 Dart. I didn't cut it or such replaced the whole cable. I was wondering about lubing it but it seemed a little oily, hopefully that will be enough. I test drove the car seemed like it worked well.

Thanks to all
Going to Carlisle on Saturday morning and wanted to keep track of the mileage and speed.

Bill

-
Back