replacing the pin

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
I'm in the process of rebuilding my steering column on my 68 barracuda. I have bought a rebuild kit for the coupling that has a new pin in it that holds the shoes and clip. I can't get the pin out, does anyone know how to do this? I was wondering if it had to be pressed in...any advice?

If the cross pin isn't worn, I don't replace it. If you just have to, It can be pressed out and back in again without heat. Getting it centered to same length both sides is req'd. That isn't easily done with the big hammer. I've done it that way too.

if the cross pin isn't worn, i don't replace it. if you just have to, it can be pressed out and back in again without heat. Getting it centered to same length both sides is req'd. That isn't easily done with the big hammer. I've done it that way too.

this

If it's the roll pin that holds the coupler on, I get a 1/4"" punch and drive it out with a hammer. You will need someone to hold the steering wheel from turning while you do this.

You can get replacements at most hardware stores in the fastener aisle. Bring the old one to match it up.

-
Back