Replacing upper control arm bolts

-

Gabriel Larson

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the easiest way to replace the eccentric bolts for the upper control arm? should I do it with no load or fully loaded or partly loaded? just wanted to get some opinions before start tearing in!

LOL well you want the load off. There is not much to them once the Lowers are supported. BE CAREFUL User on here "OldManMopar" claims that cheap import bolts caused him to total a VERY nice Duster.

I would get good original used ones. Just one peon's opinion.

I would TRY, to do it like this... Remove shocks, Support the frame on jack-stands, put a floor jack under the LCA, jack 'er up till the load is off, and RnR the bolts. I did my upper bush's that way, didn't have to break loose ball joints....

I'd try just putting a jack under the lower control arm to hold that side up, and replace one bolt at a time. There shouldn't be any strain on the upper arm at that point. No point in removing more parts or changing settings if it isn't necessary.

STOP!
The New bolts may not have enough threads on them, and when you install them as per the directions, you will torque them up and think that they are tight, but they can come loose at any time. Twenty years ago, I was an alignment tech, and got fooled by this exact thing. Don't let this happen to you!
My solution was to procure some 1/8 hardened washers and install one under the head and one under the nut; problem solved.

No point in removing more parts or changing settings if it isn't necessary.
Yeah good luck with that. As soon as you loosen a bolt, the dang thing seems to have a mind of it's own.
BTW
Those bolts are very hard. I cannot imagine how one of them got stripped. To me, that's a poser. Gee I wonder if that was one of those not-enough-threads ones, lol. If your bolts were new going into the alignment shop, I think your guy needs a slap!
Mind you, I've been out of that business for a lot of years. Maybe Moog has updated their bolts by now.......

-
Back