Reproduction instrument cluster advice

-

slmiller243

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on the reproduction instrument clusters from Year One or Classic Industries. Not sure if they come from the same place. Reproduction is about the same cost as sending mine off and getting restored but I want to make sure that the quality and fit is good. For a 69 Barracuda.

IMHO I would reuse the stock one, as you are guaranteed it will fit. I personally have not had good luck with much of the repo stuff. I did two complete nut and bolt restos on A bodies, so I have experience. I had both clusters repaired and re-finshed and it was well worth it.

My list of fails includes:
Window crank handles....knobs pop off.
Barracuda Script..soft and bendy
Tail light lenses - don't even fit the buckets, gaps on the sides, poor plastic quality.
Flip top gas cap - do not seal and have to be re-drilled as they sit cockeyed.
Anodized tail panel - not finished properly on the sides so there are gaps, thin and bends by looking at it.

I know there are some more. I tried to reuse and refinish everything I could and it's definitely worth the extra time and effort to do so.

100_2477.jpg

The chrome plating on the repo from PG Classics is not perfect, but you would have to be laying of the floor looking up to see the thin spot. Aside from that, if you catch it on sale, it is a decent piece for the money.

I sent the one pictured back as the wood grain decal was also wrong. They were very helpful. I did pick up another, but with the black face from them, and am using it in my car.

I have several factory bezels including one that is quite brittle, at this point in time. If you do get yours redone, make sure it is in solid condition before you invest the money in it. Garbage in garbage out is the operative word on getting one re-done.

I ended up cutting up my new one to fit the Vintage Air sliding controller and cut a round hole next to that to fit a gauge to cover up the fan switch. That is sure a strange feeling after shelling out $ for a part.

Dash1.JPG

Dash2.JPG

Dash3.JPG

Dash4.JPG

4.JPG

Last edited:
Any repairs to a OEM bezel will add to the cost of restoring. Most of them do need repair somewhere.
If the brim line where it meets the dash pad is wavy and many are, that wont get repaired.
Every tiny flaw is amplified in appearance by the shiny chrome. I know what breaks these bezels by the screw at right end and how to avoid that. I don't know why the edges of the glove box trim gets nicked so much. Anyway...
If I wanted very close to perfect OEM appearance I would have went with the reproduction.
Because I wanted custom ( better than original in many ways including deleting that feckin screw) Reworked originals was my only option.

DeMonDIN  02.JPG

-
Back