Reproduction Woodgrain Steering Wheel?

-

scatpackbee

Reaction score
Hello Fellow FABOers,

I’m thinking about getting a ‘69 woodgrain steering wheel for my Dart and was looking at the reproduction ones sold by Classic Industries, Dante’s and B/E and A.

Has any member purchased one and what do you think about it?

Thank you

Hello Fellow FABOers,

I’m thinking about getting a ‘69 woodgrain steering wheel for my Dart and was looking at the reproduction ones sold by Classic Industries, Dante’s and B/E and A.

Has any member purchased one and what do you think about it?

Thank you
Pics or a link?

Bea parts screen shot. $425 for the wheel.

Screenshot_20200816-145749_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think if I am correct, some of the 69 barracudas the rallye steering wheel was not woodgrain. Only on certain trim packages the rallye wheel had a woodgrain rim. The rest of the 69 barracuda rallye wheels, I think the rim was either black or interior color.

I bought one, ended up with trying two, both were from CI and Chinese made. I mounted the first one, turned the key, and the horn blew constituency. Took the wheel off and checked the horn ring. It made continuity between the ring and the hub. So the horn circuit was grounded all the time. I got a second wheel, I check it when I got it, and the same thing, it was making continuity from the hub to ring. I used the second wheel, bypassed the steering wheel circuit, and put a push button under the dash to make a grounding circuit when pushed to activate the horn. I am still looking for a good OEM wood steering wheel to replace the repo.

Only my opinion. Am doing a resto on a '68 cuda with factory wood grain wheel. Would like to use as few reproduction parts as possible. Would like it to be as close to original as reasonably possible. So I saw the choice as restore the original wheel (which will result in a nice wheel with grain not exactly original) or buy a reproduction wheel (where the center spokes are too shiny). Since I am rather adverse to anything reproduction, I decided to restore my original wheel. There are many "levels" of restoration, so you will have make the decision that makes you happy.

I bought one, ended up with trying two, both were from CI and Chinese made. I mounted the first one, turned the key, and the horn blew constituency. Took the wheel off and checked the horn ring. It made continuity between the ring and the hub. So the horn circuit was grounded all the time. I got a second wheel, I check it when I got it, and the same thing, it was making continuity from the hub to ring. I used the second wheel, bypassed the steering wheel circuit, and put a push button under the dash to make a grounding circuit when pushed to activate the horn. I am still looking for a good OEM wood steering wheel to replace the repo.

Thank you Steven190,

That’s exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I recently bought a repro tuff wheel for the dart. Yes its a decent wheel for the price but in no way is it a correct restoration piece.
I doubt any of the repro wheels are going to be exact.
Another thing is, why cant the chineese figure out how to make a horn button that works?

-
Back