resetting or changing out gauge

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
The temp gauge in the car works but is on the high end of the normal range. The radiator fluid is running at about 170-180. Is there a way to reset or replace that piece attached to the block. Sorry don't know what this is called.

What part exactly are you speaking of? The small transducer that is screwed into the intake manifold? Yes it is available to replace, I would not think that it's bad as it has no moving parts.

Did you use a candy thermometer to check your temp's on the fluid?

John B.

temp sender unit is the piece that is screwed into the block, head, or intake manifold. That is replaceable.

yes, the gauge wiring leads to what looks like a bolt head to me on top of the head. The guy at the radiator shop tested it at 170-180. Little round thermometer. Thanks for the help sorry for the ignorance but I'm trying. Anyone know who where to get the temp sender unit?

The temp sender can go bad; its resistance can shift/drift, especially if the engine has been overheated, and when that happens the gauge reading will be wrong. Also, there is a difference in resistance range between up-to-'63 and '64-and-later temp senders, and the gauges are calibrated differently to account for it; mismatch will cause improper readings. What year and model car are you working on, and has it had an engine or instrument cluster swap ('63 and '64 Dart temp gauges only look identical!)?

If you are running the correct sender in good condition and the gauge is in proper repair and the instrument cluster voltage limiter isn't acting up (the fuel gauge doesn't also read high, does it?), then you can take a clue from a 1960 TSB that advised dealers to put a resistor in the temp sender wire to correct a complaint of "overheating" (temp gauge reading too high) that could not be verified as actual overheating and could not be cured with a new sender.

Dan: you should write a book! The car in question is the 63 valiant. The other gauges do work well and I believe they are accurate. I have had the car for only a year and a half so I don't know all of it's history obviously. The gauge looks to be stock, the engine is original. So where do I get a resistor to put in the temp sender wire? I can live with the gauge reading where it is but it is one of those little things that bug me and more importantly keep my eyes off the road.

NAPA Echlin TS-6626 or Standard-BlueStreak TS-52. Has 1/4"-18 dryseal pipe thread. Resistance is 125Ω at 125°F, 17.1Ω at 220°F.

-
Back