Resonators

-

RealWing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have TTI headers and the full 2.5" exhaust on my 6.1 L Hemi Barracuda. It is a great system, however the smallish (14" long) Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers p/n 17733 don't do much muffling and there is also an annoying drone when highway cruising. After some research, I decided to install a set of resonators. I picked Flowmaster p/n 15150S. It is a full 2.5" straight through design (ie no restriction) with a sealed resonator tube along side the main pipe. The drivers side is an easy fit, but the passenger side tailpipe fits very close to the gas tank and required some rework of the tailpipe.
Just got the car back from the shop and there is an absolutely amazing sound difference. It is significantly quieter at all speeds. The drone is completely gone. If anyone has a similar drone problem, these resonators are highly recommended.
Jim

IMG_4704_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4706_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4712_1280x719.JPG

IMG_4713_1280x719.JPG

Thanks for posting Jim. I'm all for free flowing exhaust but not into drone at cruise.
Will keep these in mind when the time comes.

I don't think you can do it with leaf springs, not enough room.

Back in the day I would run corvair turbo mufflers and glass packs in the back.

Also check for a thread on here someone tried dead end pipes, WTF are they called?

They put them on the poster's car pointing in, up against the gas tank, parallel with rear bumper. There's a formula you use to figure the length

Here's "something" on this, we need to find this thread, which was fairly recent on here

How to build an exhaust resonator tube to eliminate drone - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

The cure for drone-- 1/4 resonance pipes aka J-pipes aka Helmholtz tubes - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Also check for a thread on here someone tried dead end pipes, WTF are they called?

They put them on the poster's car pointing in, up against the gas tank, parallel with rear bumper. There's a formula you use to figure the length

Here's "something" on this, we need to find this thread, which was fairly recent on here

How to build an exhaust resonator tube to eliminate drone - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

The cure for drone-- 1/4 resonance pipes aka J-pipes aka Helmholtz tubes - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

These Flowmaster resonators are designed the same way as the "dead end tubes" or Helmholtz tubes. The dead end tube is inside the case.

Interesting resonator. Problem I see is the tube length in the resonator inside may not be correct for some drones. Drone frequency can vary some from what I have seen from posters using the phone app I used to measure your actual drone frequency. On this page of my thread, Suggestions for muscle car sound muffler without drone, I posted what app you can use to measure drone frequency and the web page I used to calculate the branch resonator tube length (Helmholtz tubes). My tubes are 27" long.

-
Back