resto 340-4-speed in progress. already hit jackpot

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
as some of you guys and ladies know, i just got back from nebraska, bringing home my new addition.
she is a 70 340 4-speed car. non matching engine. but it is date code correct.

i pulled the back seat, just to look. by reading the fender tag, it says that i was supposed to have black bench interior. but as i pulled the back seat...........

JACKPOT
the car original had white interior. and the build sheet is in perfect condition!
look at the huge mouse nest right next to the buildsheet.lol. i guess the mice knew that it was a horribly important peice of documentation, and decided to leave it alone. lmfao. BUT I DO SEE ONE SINGLE MOUTH BITE ON THE CORNER FROM A MOUSE! I TAKE IT HE DID NOT LIKE THE FLAVOR.

anyway, now i have fender tag and build sheet for the car.
here are some pics of the car being worked on by my son, doing what he does best.lol just like his daddy.

i will continue to keep this alive through the process. i originally planned on having the car on the road by june, but after serious talks with the wife, i think i will take my time and do a more thorough job, as she thinks that we'll have more pleasure and more time together working on it.

70 4 speed project 001.jpg

70 4 speed project 004.jpg

70 4 speed project 005.jpg

70 4 speed project 006.jpg

Looks like a nice color combination. Congrats on the new car.

Congrats! Getting a new toy like that is a great feeling. It looks like a keeper. How was the trip? Any good road stories?

The tag says black interior and the sheet says white???

What's the tag and sheet codes for interior?

Might want to check the tag number on the bild sheet, and compar it to the car.

yes, i matched the fender tag to the rad support, build sheet, title, and the number on the door. they all match

here is pics of the back seat after cleaning it. also a few of the engine bay and and trunk also. the trunk has some surface rust, but not bad at all.

here is a picture of the grille that scott gave me in the box. it is like new!

70 4 speed project 011.jpg

70 4 speed project 010.jpg

70 4 speed project 009.jpg

70 4 speed project 012.jpg

***********update***********

i have not done too much to the car. i tagged and insured it, so i havent been able to stop burning the gas to let it sit so i can work on it.
here is a picture of the interior after about 5 hours of cleaning and getting all the mice nests out of the car.
i know that most of you guys say that it is wrong to paint under the hood black. but i do not plan on making a trailer queen out of her, but instead, i plan on driving it daily from about march to november. well, as long as it is not too cold, cause i have no heat.lol
i painted under the hood black for a few reasons. the most inportant was because of it being a d.d, it would just stay so ugly under there with the factory yellow in the bay. here are a few pics................more to come.

70 4 speed project 013.jpg

70 4 speed project 014.jpg

i am now in the proccess of putting in my oil, volt, and temp guages, along with my monster tach, and msd 6al

O.K. Stup question!! But where would I find the rad cradle #'s and the trunk #'s? Would someone be so kind as to send me a picture!! Thanks.. Craig..

The black under the hood looks good -who cares if you don't paint it body color and who gives a crap what the front seats are out of as long as they do there job of keeping your butt off the floor. My vote is drive it and do what you want -it is your car so make it the way you want.

yea, i do not mind the seats. at least all the cdovers on them match. plus, i would be out of budget to buy the correct one for the car. my budget is 250.00 to finish the car.lol and that is for the paint.

I remember this car being for sale on this site. It's a decent car, especially good for driving, then restoring. It's a real VS29H0B car, so it will have some real value, regardless when you get around to restoring it - ground up.

Congrats. on the car, and keep us posted on what all you need to do, to get the car on the road.

Cool car!

I remember this car being for sale on this site. It's a decent car, especially good for driving, then restoring. It's a real VS29H0B car, so it will have some real value, regardless when you get around to restoring it - ground up.

Congrats. on the car, and keep us posted on what all you need to do, to get the car on the road.

Cool car!

lol, it has been on the road since the day i got back from ne. i have been driving it too muich to do any work to it.lmfao

well, today i decided to give the car a break. so i figured i would start some of the body work. i figured i wouls begin at the worst spot on the car. sure enough, the lower quarter on the driver side was rust pitted. so i cut out a small section, since i did not want to just fill it with bondo.
well and behold, the 3 by 3 inch peice of metal turned out to need 17 inch by like 9 inch. everytime i went to weld the new peice of metal in, the old stuff would just blow apart.
thanks to the dodge avenger trunk lid i had, it was useful for the metal i needed for the car. i welded it in and then ground off all bugger off.
all in all, i think it turned out perfect, and now all i need to do is light skim coat.

btw, the first picture is of the stuff that was in between the inner trunk extension, and the lower quarter. one of them was a live bullet

70 4 speed project 018.jpg

70 4 speed project 019.jpg

70 4 speed project 020.jpg

any chance you could go into more detail on how you did the above?
i have to do that next on my dart

to be honest, i cut out all the rust completly, but tried to keep the old peice as a template. then once i got it all cut out, i took the old peice and flattened it out, including where it bends under, to the spotwelds on the trunk extensions. this way, i could get a exact shape, even if my cuts were not straight. then traced it onto a old trunklid that i had, and cut the marker line off. once i cut the new peice out, i measured the old one, from the bottom under the car, to where the bend starts.iw was 1 inch exactly.
in my shed i have a homemade work bench, that i took a pallet and nailed it to a 2x4 that runs from one side of the shed to the other. well, where the pallet meets the 2x4, i was able to just slide the sheet of metal in that 1 inch, and just lightly, and slowly bent the metal to the shape of the quarter.
i never thought it would be so easy to fab my own peice of lower quarter. it fit like a glove, and i did not have to grind it at all to fit.
it was a little harder to weld it, cause it is easy to just blow holes through everything.
then after i got the lower quarter done, i cut out the lip the goes into the wheelwell, and fabbed and welded that in too.

-
Back