Restoration Advice Please

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
FABO, looking for some advice from other members that have "been there & done that". Maybe just what you learned through your own restorations.

I'm currently restoring a 1970 Duster. I've finished the body work and have the car in primer. The front suspension is in, and so is the rear end, brakes are done, steering box is in. So, I've got a shell on wheels right now.

I'm debating what to start on next. I'd like to try and plan out the work in a way that makes the most sense.

I have: wiring kit, dash, sound deadener rolls, 4 speed conversion parts, headliner and interior kit, steering column

I do not have: engine or accessories, dash gauges, stereo

Hopefully, some of you can shed some light on this.

Thanks FABO!

If you are going to paint it, now is the time.
Paint it while it is a rolling shell, and then build it.
This way, you will avoid over spray on all those nice shinny parts.

Everyone has their own plan. Im about where you are now. My next thing is to get it to paint. While its in the body shop, the motor will go out for machining and the trans rebuilt.Install everything make sure all systems are go then install the interior. Good luck with your build.

Tim

Paint it and install the engine/trans from the bottom up. Makes life way easy, especially if your going to run headers.

If you are going to paint it, now is the time.
Paint it while it is a rolling shell, and then build it.
This way, you will avoid over spray on all those nice shinny parts.

I was going to wait on the paint. When I helped my friend restore his Chevelle, we did paint right after body work. I can't tell you the number of scratches that car got during the assembly process. Must have been hundreds. That being said, I did paint the engine bay before installing the front suspension. So, that part is done.

Also, I should clarify... I am going to paint the door jambs, trunk, etc. before doing any interior work. The floor pan was shot with epoxy primer and then sealed with a rubberized coating.

Hundreds ? Wow !
Hopefully you are more careful with this one.

Hundreds is a bit of an exaggeration. But a bunch of weird little mishaps. Fumbling a screwdriver or brushing against a fender or something. Enough to make me think about waiting on paint.

To do it right you need to paint it before going any farther and you need to learn how to be careful . Sorry for the bluntness but if you want something nice and you are doing it yourself you need to learn this lesson.Sounds like you made the careless mistake so now you know that your work habits are one of the most important parts of the process. Good luck with it.We all made these mistakes and most of us have learned from them.

yes...paint is your next step.Then the fun begins as you restore or replace all those gorgeous pieces.
Now there are rewards every day!

After painting & during any work, invest in fender covers, soft moving blankets & plenty of tape. Cover any areas you will be working over or around & just make sure you or whomever is working with you is as careful as possible. Been there, done that & paid the price for being foolish.

This car was being assembled at a body shop I stop at. Like Tim said Above ^^ Leave the front end off till the car is up and running.Demonracer has a great point too.
DSC01142.JPG
DSC01103.JPG

I’m planning on installing my 340 motor on my 69 DART convertible From the bottom up with the headers and front end
Has Anybody had serious problems with the headers from the bottom up. It’s got power steering power brakes any suggestions

1. Modifications for the 4 speed conversion. It requires cutting and welding, do it before paint

2. Paint

3. electrical/sound deadening/dash/steering column

4. engine and transmission/initial fire and tune

5. interior (last)

I'll offer something a bit different. Just completed my 73 Sport restoration. I did everything except paint and interior first. Suspension, engine/transmission installation, cooling system, wiring, sub frame connectors, exhaust. I did engine break-in prior to going to paint and body. Even drove the car up and down the road a few times to test as much as possible. After coming back from body and paint, I did the interior - dash panel, carpet, headliner, sound deadening, seats, interior trim, gaskets, etc. My goal was to keep work to a minimum after paint - less chance of making a bad mistake.
Check out the final product below.
June 22, 2020 - YouTube

I painted the interior and the bottom first and then I just touch it up and then I'm going to paint the outside when everything else is done. I just installed the shifter housing I drill a pilot hole and from the bottom I opened it up. Right now I'm having problems trying to figure out where the brake line runs this is what I have so far. If you could send me a photo of that brake line run I would appreciate it

1607726687519177185455.jpg

16077267559611029302425.jpg

And this was from Inline Tube but none of these tubes look like they make sense.
I'm using stainless steel 3/8 and it's very difficult to bend so I got to be careful any pictures you could take great would be great

16077268271281592196248.jpg

16077268524491478630672.jpg

-
Back