Restoration? Performance mods? Survivor cars? What's YOUR preference?

-

gladeparkfly

Reaction score
I'm a fan of all of the above but if I had to pick, nothing beats a clean original survivor car IMO. Hard to find and they're only original once. Besides, Mopar had "IT" when it came to styling and options, very little needed to make 'em stand out in a crowd. What's the hive say?

I'm a fan of all of the above but if I had to pick, nothing beats a clean original survivor car IMO. Hard to find and they're only original once. Besides, Mopar had "IT" when it came to styling and options, very little needed to make 'em stand out in a crowd. What's the hive say?

It is true that they are only orginial once but a truely orginial car is nearly impossible to come by now a days. If a restored car is your style then that's cool but luckily the parts are fairly easy to come by to restore one so you can make then appear orginial as many times as you want. Me personally? Give my a old super stocker car or any other abody race car and I'm happy

A survivor is nice but I prefer a time capsule sort of car, one that might not be as new but as it was for something significant.
A couple good examples are the Daytona 24 hour winning Viper is still as it was when the race ended, you can see hand prints on it; also the Indy museum has one of AJ Foyts indy cars just as is was when the season ended in 1964 (I think).
Doesn't need to be as impressive as those cars but maybe a car as it was when you graduated or got married.

I like anything American and old that's cool and reliable

I want the type of car that when you get in you get an urge to take the back roads to Mayberry

These cars were special just the way they were but the original suspension and brakes leaves them adequate or even unsafe on todays roads.
Sooo ....i would like mine to look like the classic it is but drive,handle and stop safe enough for todays driving.
I'm not a big fan of lipstick and jewelry unless it's a "day two" style build.

These cars were special just the way they were but the original suspension and brakes leaves them adequate or even unsafe on todays roads.
Sooo ....i would like mine to look like the classic it is but drive,handle and stop safe enough for todays driving.
I'm not a big fan of lipstick and jewelry unless it's a "day two" style build.

SO its safe to say you like plane Jane look,me I like the looks and all.:glasses7:

well sort of Don.
Day two custom wheels,tires,Cragars or what ever are nice

Stock/original is BORING..modify them take them to the track and beat the crap out of them,like they were built for:burnout::burnout:

Stock/original is BORING..modify them take them to the track and beat the crap out of them,like they were built for:burnout::burnout:

You can beat on stock stuff too. My dad used to have a 65 mustang fastback with a 289 4 speed that was restored very well. One day he was leaving a show and I was sticking around. He dumped it and had it smoking pretty well. Two guys next to me started going on about how they couldn't believe someone would treat a car like that.

I don't care how other people like their stuff as long as they aren't afraid to have fun with them.

I like the day two look, as I was a teenager back in the 60's. if a guy could afford mags, usually they went on pretty quick! it was a lot about the "look". he might ad a tach, but many times was more look than use.
aftermarket value covers, oh yea!

I do love the survivor, that still have pretty decent paint and interior. but we all know those are very rare, but still my favorite. saw one at mo-kan last sat. it had a place maybe 1 x 2 ft where the original paint was done to the primer, rest of paint was original and pretty darn good. we both agreed he should not touch that spot up, it was its badge of courage!!! COOL!

If there is such a thing, i like the day 3 look where a car was pulled out of a field and got back on the road after it was left for dead. (A resurrection of sorts).
That would include paint touch ups with a spray can, go through the brakes and steering, changing or rebuilding the engine, trans, and rear end, cleaning and painting the interior (or replacing with better condition), go through the wiring, and adding some options to make it YOUR car. Give it what it needs.
Make it look original at a glance......but a lot more hidden except to the trained eye.
Then drive the sucker rain or shine!
I've done the restoration thing etc. and this is what appeals to me.......
I do like the Stock eliminator/Super Stock look as well, and add those touches to my cars as well.
Check out my build thread to see what i'm talking about.
Tom.

Depends on the car. My car would of been was to bring back to original. It already had all the parts except the jack. But it wouldn't of been worth any more cash. So I decided to add a 340 with 6 pack I got cheap. If the car is a few manufactured one that is worth more brought back to original, then bring it back to original as possible. Otherwise, your dime, your time fo what you want. Just my opinion.

I prefer one or two owner cars that are in presentable condition.
Most generally they are better maintained than something that gets sold every couple of years.

Depends on the car.

Exactly.

The '69 Sport Satellite that might be only one in existence? Worthy of concourse.

The '74 Barracuda? 500 inches, all aluminum, six speed, and a Viper suspension set up. Everything else fall in between.

It really depends; I've seen a lot of different cars in different styles and if it's done well, then I can appreciate it.

Personally I really like though is the look of original/restored look, being improved by personal touches that really just fit the car, then underneath modern-day improvement like disc brakes and whatnot. Engine? Anything goes.

You all know where I pledge my allegiance:D Having said that there are times when I wish for my first 72 Duster340,Crager mags, Lakewood traction bars, set of Highjackers and a Craig Powerplay blasting out Boston's first through 6 x 9 Jenson's:rock:

I like them all. Whether your pushing it's limits at the track, Smoking tires and swapping stories with the guys/girls, cruising a back country road you, your car and the radio or doing a show and shine. As long as your keeping these beauty's running who cares which way it's done. Oh I guess I like the hot rod style myself. Long Live Mopar!

"day two" is a new one for me. Anybody care to elaborate on that phrase? I've been incredibly lucky finding mostly original, well cared for one and 2 owner mopars. Granted, nothing super rare or special unless you count the '73 SE Charger 440 I found years ago, all original 1 owner every option known to man for 2 grand. :) That was a long time ago though, early 90s and bein a punk kid, it was my daily driver and only car for several years.

"day two" is a new one for me. Anybody care to elaborate on that phrase? I've been incredibly lucky finding mostly original, well cared for one and 2 owner mopars. Granted, nothing super rare or special unless you count the '73 SE Charger 440 I found years ago, all original 1 owner every option known to man for 2 grand. :) That was a long time ago though, early 90s and bein a punk kid, it was my daily driver and only car for several years.

"Day two" references, to a new muscle car bought, to have minor street/strip bolt one added.(tachometer/traction bars/aftermarket wheels & tires/headers/intakes & carbs ,sometimes a camshaft swap) How I saw it done,as a kid.

"Day two" was the phrase that I was going to be my response to this thread, the second I looked at the title.

Click on it and see this conversation. Too much.

Day two is what I live for. I love the engineering from the factory and style cues, but I love seeing what people can do with their cars.

Performance and other design changes or new ideas fascinate me.

Good work is good work. Detroit or shade tree. I admire the craft.

-
Back