Restore or not to restore

-

Red360

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the board but not new to mopars and I wanted to ask the "A" body experts what to do about a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger I just purchased this weekend. I originally bought this Dart to "kinda" restore and cruise around in. It is a 318 2 bbl with a 904 tranny (both numbers matching), power disc, and an electronic ignition system. After some minor disassembling I found that this car has never been painted, it is rust free, has the build sheet/fender tag, and still has the original 1971 Chrysler date coded windshield! It is deep green with white vinyl top and white bench seat interior. Now being an E-body guy, I know this car would be worth its weight in gold as is, but what about this car? Originally I was going to put in a crate motor, 727, 8 3/4 rear, and paint it a different color, but I don't want to destroy a "survivor" car if you get what I mean....so what do you guys/gals think? Thanks in advance!!

I'll bet ya a beer most everyone here tells you to leave it as is :toothy7:

well you could leave it as is. it would be a nice survivor. if you still want to do anything to it then take the moter and tranny out and set it aside. do the 360 727 and when it's time to sell put it back as it was. just a thought. how about some pics? might help to sway us

Painful truth, it would be worth more restifed in a better color than the original paint. That model is not a muscle car, high performance, convertible, etc. Make it the way you want it, why drive a color you didn't like.

Thanks for the replies so far and I noticed that I posted this in the wrong section!! Darn it!

Red360 said:
Thanks for the replies so far and I noticed that I posted this in the wrong section!! Darn it!
LOL, so what. Thats OK.
On the car, do what you want to do. What ever makes you happy. Who cares? Not me. A purest will cringe if you do anything to it. Hot rodders will drool and pester you. Do what you want.
I like a hot rod myself. Sell it to me and I'll show you what I mean. He he he he.

I'm faced with the same choice on my 67 Cuda..... California survivor with a/c.....one older repaint, original color and white interior...........273 auto, certicard, manuals, owner data, etc.........

Boy would it ever be nice with a 340.....................BUT, not many true survivors left out there........and every day that passes sees another one "pass" into the resto-mod realm, or go under the knife for a plastic surgery of some sort, trying to make it something it wasn't...........

TOUGH decision........................Me? I think I'd leave it, OR as a wise A-Body veteran has previously stated, change the motor and tranny to make it more interesting, BUT keep the old sitting in the garage for a future resale..................keep the rest of the car as-is.

:thumbup:

-
Back