Restoring bare metal parts???

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
How do you restore the bare metal parts to make them look new? I'm referring to certain parts on my Lil Red Express like the wiper motor, blower motor, tire tool hold down clamps, and wiper linkage etc... The parts are just natural finish but they are kind chalky and dull right now... Seems like some may be zinc or something.. Thanks in advance...

I clean them up with a wire wheel on a drill.

You could then prime and paint them either black, gray, or silver. If you don't want to paint them, then clear coat them to keep them from corroding so fast again.

Evaporust to remove rust then go over it with a product called RPM .
[ame]http://d2zl5tj7gmc4tr.cloudfront.net/store/content/download/instructions/909-11a.pdf[/ame]

They used a variety of plating and coating, so removing the surface will often leave you with a different appearance. Sometimes you can just clean them. Purple power or other cleaners. Fine steel wool works good on some. Probably not good for a 'purist' restoration, but If coloring is gone- I used different colors of metallic spray paint ( stainless. Nickel, cold galve,). Top coat of clear engine enamel will help keep it looking good.

I bought some Evaporust from Harbor Freight and soaked my parts and must say this stuff is great... Now have to order some RPM.. Where do y'all order it from???? Thanks for the help...

I got mine from ECS Automotive Concepts but other places sell it such as Year One etc.

-
Back