restoring tail lights, how to

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of 69 dart tail lights from a fellow member for cheep, and would like to restore them as much as possible working from home. I'm looking for advice on how to do this. They have some fairly bad pitting, gaskets that need replaced and one has a yellowing lens.

what should I do for the bazels, dremel them? put it through some chemical process? send them to CudaChick?

can I buy new gaskets somewhere?

will a standard lens treatment work for the yellowing?

some of the front bazel mounting holes are a bit torn up, I doubt much can be done for them but would love you to tell me I'm wrong.

I want to take my time on these and do as good a job as possible, I have nicer ones in my car and am doing this for fun/education. If I can come out with a nice pair that can bring in more money than I put in that's great, if not oh well. Let me know what you think.

cheers :drinkers:

Attachments

• IMG_2655.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2656.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_2657.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_2658.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_2659.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_2660.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 464
DMT and/or Gary Goers for the gaskets, and here for info on functional restoration of the reflectors. Meguiar's 3-stage plastic polishing system for the lenses (or replace w/new lenses).

very good info, thanks.

from searching the web, I dont see much on fixing pits and replating pot metal at home. ?

I read the link and question the cost of the replating the bezels. You "think" you paid $40? I had mine redone 6 years ago from a reputable shop in CAL to a tune just under $100. They were in similar condition to yours. Rechroming ain't cheap these days due to the policies enforced by the EPA, chemical disposal. I just had a pair of bullet fender turn signals rechromed for $80 and that was fair compared to other shops that quoted them. No pitting and the copper strike was just bleeding thru. If he charges $40 to redo them, he ain't making money. Just my $.02

-
Back