Restrictive Mufflers

-
Tom...what is the length of the ACM 94?
how does it compare it to the performance and sound of the AMC 912.
..i want quiet for my next Dart

I'd like to highlight some of the key points I can see from the cutaway muffler photo Tom has provided. These are my opinions based on the fun I have had with mufflers.

1. Note that this muffler has no drastic diameter reductions in either the internal tube or external bushings. This adds a lot of airflow potential, especially when you tax it with a stroked (larger displacement), higher rpm potential engine. Remember that back in 1968 when 340s came out, they were redlined at around 6000 rpm and running them to 6500 and higher was not as prevalent as it is today. With good rods and pistons, it is not uncommon to buzz our engines today to the 7000 range and higher. At these higher rpms, a muffler’s design becomes very important. Larger diameter pass tubes reduce backpressure; this Accurate muffler has them.

2. See how the internal tubes (pass tubes) of the tri-flow section are expanded over the tubes that feed into them? Why is this so important? If Accurate would have reduced the internal tubes to fit into (instead of over) the tubes that are feeding exhaust into them, the sharp edge and diameter reduction would cause flow restriction (backpressure) which equals reduced flow. If drastic enough, this joint could also cause high frequency hissing (think about those old, massive Ford luxury cars that hissed at wide open throttle). This expanded joint is good for exhaust gas entry but what about exit? The way Accurate did it is basically like butting two identical tube diameters end to end; there is not much diameter change to cause restriction and hissing.

3. Observe the large open chambers shown above the ACM 912 decal and in the bottom of the muffler? These two chambers are “turn arounds” and they are where the exhaust has to make the drastic direction change. If Accurate had put smaller volume areas in either location, they could have reduced some more sound level but it would have drastically cut the performance potential. Think about it this way: do you want exhaust to expand into a chamber the size of a baseball or a basketball before it changes direction? You want larger volume for flow. I can’t tell exactly but it looks as if one volume is smaller than the other which helps tune out different sound frequencies. Always remember that the gasses really do not want to change direction and this is most true at high gas volume flows (high loads or rpms) so anything one can do to make this easier and smoother, you gain flow potential. The best thing you can do is give the end chambers lots of volume and this muffler does this.

In summary, for a good sounding, nice flowing, all around performance street muffler, you want a tri-flow configuration and this is what Accurate is providing. To get low backpressure, you want open turn arounds, you need unrestricted flow tubes, you need good cross bleeding (holes between tubes in the tri-flow section), you want a short tri-flow length (this one is around 12 to 13”), and you want good muffler volume (these should be 4.24 by 9.25 by 18” roughly).

I have never heard these but based on what I see, I am betting they rumble at idle only slightly more than stockers did, they are only slightly louder across the rpm range, they have very little, if any resonation in the 2000 to 2200 rpm range, they flow 50% more than stock ones did (roughly 65 to 70% of an open pipe of the same diameter compared to 30 to 40% for the stockers). Think about this 65% to 70% number: the chambered mufflers you hear so often on Mustangs that have this offset inlet-center outlet orientation will flow about 65% of an open pipe but the sound level will be at east 10 dBA higher in the ranges you tend to drive. More importantly, and this is why you would buy this tri-flow muffler, the chambered mufflers will almost always resonate whereas the good designed tri-flow will not. When you add the chrome tips most performance Dodge and Plymouths came with, this muffler will sound good, rumble, flow a lot, and be essentially resonance-free.

And as Tom said, if you want maximum flow, you would always want the best straight-through muffler you could get. Like a tri-flow, you want large flow tubes, generous and correctly sized and shaped perforations for sound control. Additionally, I would want sound absorbing fiber, some sort to filter (st. st. sock) to keep the fiber in, and definitely, I’d want no sharp edges. UltraFlos, Magnaflows, XLERATORs, Max-Flows and some others provide these characteristics. But, it is hard to totally eliminate resonance with these mufflers even though st. st. UtraFlos do a good job with their extra tuned chambers and perforated partitions which act as Helmholtz resonating chambers.

Tom Hand

There are a lot of excellent points in this thread regarding mufflers and balancing flow with sound qualities. The first poster pictured a muffler design we used that was about 10 generations back (14 years). It served the market well with a reasonable exhaust flow/exhaust note and lasted for many years without coming apart even when being abused. Our most recent ACM-912 design (pictured) are for those wanting excellent flow and sound control that sounds close to factory. The ACM-912 mufflers have replaced these earlier units. For those wanting all out performance we have the "Stainless Magnum" series muffler which is similar to the Ultraflow and Magnaflow straight through designs but these , like most similar designs can resonate under load and certain rpms. A few issues that face those of us in the exhaust industry is marketing a muffler that is not too loud in the passenger compartment, flows reasonably well and fits properly.

Thx Vetom. Im buying those. (Offset / Offset) Its clear that it is a combo of resonance and absorbent dampening with good open passages, optimized in a small package with flow directors. Friggin best setup Ive seen..

A short muffler and an-shaped connector or tailpipes from non-stock plans.
Tom

Cut away of some 2 1/2" dynomax super turbos. Offset in/center out. The inside tubes are a choking 2 1/4". And notice how the air has to fight to get around that center-out tube when it makes that first turn? The offset in/offset out super turbos are much better but you will need custom tail pipes to run those. I ripped these off my car and went with 2 1/2" ultra flows, I don't see much of a difference in noise, but the bump in power feels substantial and the car idles way better.

Attachments

• SuperTurbo1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,435
  • SuperTurbo3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 815
  • SuperTurbo2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 779
  • SuperTurbo4.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 876
340s, it looks like the center / offset is a hindrance to the flow big time compared to offset / offset. Thanks for posting that.

Yes offset/offsets work pretty good even though it necks down to 2 1/4" inside. And there is plenty of room for tail pipes under an a-body to run offset/offset. Its just any off the shelf tail pipe you buy will be bent for a center out muffler.

There are a lot of excellent points in this thread regarding mufflers and balancing flow with sound qualities. The first poster pictured a muffler design we used that was about 10 generations back (14 years). It served the market well with a reasonable exhaust flow/exhaust note and lasted for many years without coming apart even when being abused. Our most recent ACM-912 design (pictured) are for those wanting excellent flow and sound control that sounds close to factory. The ACM-912 mufflers have replaced these earlier units. For those wanting all out performance we have the "Stainless Magnum" series muffler which is similar to the Ultraflow and Magnaflow straight through designs but these , like most similar designs can resonate under load and certain rpms. A few issues that face those of us in the exhaust industry is marketing a muffler that is not too loud in the passenger compartment, flows reasonably well and fits properly.

I was checking out these mufflers on your website, because I'm also looking to quiet down my car without sacrificing performance. I read that the outlet is 2 1/4" even with 2 1/2" inlet. Is that correct or a typo?

I was checking out these mufflers on your website, because I'm also looking to quiet down my car without sacrificing performance. I read that the outlet is 2 1/4" even with 2 1/2" inlet. Is that correct or a typo?

Here is the page with the description for the ACM-912:
http://www.accurateltd.com/A-body-Performance-Muffler_p_206.html
In addition to being able to order these with the 2-1/2" I.D. inlet, you can order these with a 2-1/2" I.D. outlet as well. You would actually have to call us as this option is not available using the on line store for a purchase. The internals remain the same whether it is 2-1/4" or 2-1/2". This is also true with the Magnum series muffler. Hope this answers your question.
Tom

Do the power tubes or turbo tubes sound like glass packs?

They do sound very similar to glasspacks but more raspy and sharp and not as much as the "flabby" sound that glasspacks have on light throttle but still very far from the tinny Flowmaster sound. I'm pretty sure there's an idle/rev clip of my Duster with the powersticks in the exhaust clips thread. They are rather loud but the sound is amazing all the time, not much drone when cruising either the longer ones (or multiples in series) you use the quieter it will be.

They do sound very similar to glasspacks but more raspy and sharp and not as much as the "flabby" sound that glasspacks have on light throttle but still very far from the tinny Flowmaster sound. I'm pretty sure there's an idle/rev clip of my Duster with the powersticks in the exhaust clips thread. They are rather loud but the sound is amazing all the time, not much drone when cruising either the longer ones (or multiples in series) you use the quieter it will be.
thats good. I can't stand the crackle that glass packs make. I like the thrush/flowmaster sound, but the thrush I have is going to choke the crap out of my motor. I'm thinking I'm just gonna run straight pipe and call it good lol

Interesting Ive got a tti sys in my 68 Barracuda with the turbos but there to loud for me. Its funny I was going to run a new set of ultra flows for the track but not now.

Grab a pair of cheap glass-packs and put them right at the end of the tailpipes as resonators. The difference will amaze you!

I like the sound of glass packs, turbos, what ever, but I want it mostly quiet and flowing like open headers with an 18" collector extension. So, the sound of quiet open headers is what I want.

What happened to the list that was just here?

Sorry, I thought it might be too redundant, so I deleted it..

Copied from another forum:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-discussion/6811-huge-muffler-comparison.html

All tests via an independent lab
All tests @ 15” wc

2 “ Straight Pipe 283 CFM
2 ¼ “ Straight Pipe 365 CFM
2 ½ “ Straight Pipe 521 CFM

2 ¼” Typical Bent tailpipe 268 CFM
2 ½” Typical Bent Tailpipe 417 CFM

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet_ Glass Pack Tips- No Louvers- Smooth 274 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet- Glass Pack Tips-Louvered 133 CFM
Same as above set for reverse flow 141 CFM
2 ¼” Cherry Bomb 239 CFM
2 ½” Cherry Bomb 294 CFM

2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM

Standard OEM 2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet 138-152 CFM
Standard OEM 2 ½” Inlet/Outlet 161-197 CFM
This next comparison I found on a mustang forum.
The results in HP order:
1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq
7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq
8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq
9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq
10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq
11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq
12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq
13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq
14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq
15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq
16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq
17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

http://forums.stangnet.com/archive/index.php/t-392314

I can't believe the price of som of these mufflers :O man I thought flowmasters were expensive

-
Back