Retarding timing during cranking?

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a poor man's timing retard for factory Mopar electronic ignition? The 340 I am working on currently, likes 20 degrees initial and I have modified the distributor for 34 total. The problem is it kicks back sometimes during cranking and has broken 2 starters.

Racer I hung around with wired his ignition system to a toggle switch. Left it off until the motor was spinning on the starter. In is case as soon as the ignition was switched on the motor was running so it never had a chance to kick back....

Put a second pickup in the distributor

Where does it not kick back in regards to initial timing. If you took a few degrees out there it might be an easier approach.

An engine cranks at about 200 RPM. If the idle speed is 1000 RPM, using a light, or no spring on one flyweight may give what you need.

It might take a distributor machine to check it all out. For test purposes I use a degree markers on distributor base, needle on shaft, a timing light, variable speed drill and tach for a low buck distributor machine. Crank degrees are 2x distributor degrees because distributor speed is 1/2 crank speed. Tach on ignition reads crank speed. Drill speed is 1/2 that.

200RPM may be hard to determine unless low scale diagnostic tach is used.

Im running 22 initial on my 360 34 total I have a ebay mini starter. 3 years now with no problems even on 90 degree days.

-
Back