Return line and air filter question for Holley Sniper

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a Holley Sniper kit for my 69 Barracuda with a moderately modified 30. I have read the data available on the Holley site. I plan to call their tech line, but I wanted your inputs first. I know the system requires a return line. A few years ago I put a new fuel tank and sending unit in my car. The sending unit has two nipples on it. I blocked one off with a rubber nipple.
1. Can I assume the line I blocked off is for a return line, and will that be big enough for the return line?
2. With the sending unit being on the side of the tank, more or less in the middle, will the system's return line fuel pressure be enough to push against the gas in the tank when the tank is full? I really don't want to take the tank out.
3. Also, anyone know if a regular air cleaner will fit OK. I have an Edelbrock Air Gap and Edelbrock Thunder series car on now, and I JUST have clearance to shut my hood.
Thanks guys.

Not sure about the sniper, but the fitech I have calls for the return to be 5/16". I plan to use the stock metal "feed" line and route it to the return on the sender. Fitech also claims to use the same air filter housing as the carburetor it replaced with not adding any height. Will be another week or so before I can install mine, so I can't say for sure. The fitech system runs at 58 psi, so I assume that the sniper will be similar. That will allow for more than enough pressure to overcome the force of the the fuel in the tank.

I am really close to pulling the trigger on a Holley Sniper kit for my 69 Barracuda with a moderately modified 30. I have read the data available on the Holley site. I plan to call their tech line, but I wanted your inputs first. I know the system requires a return line. A few years ago I put a new fuel tank and sending unit in my car. The sending unit has two nipples on it. I blocked one off with a rubber nipple.
1. Can I assume the line I blocked off is for a return line, and will that be big enough for the return line?
2. With the sending unit being on the side of the tank, more or less in the middle, will the system's return line fuel pressure be enough to push against the gas in the tank when the tank is full? I really don't want to take the tank out.
3. Also, anyone know if a regular air cleaner will fit OK. I have an Edelbrock Air Gap and Edelbrock Thunder series car on now, and I JUST have clearance to shut my hood.
Thanks guys.
Some will say Holley recommends a 3/8 return or but tech line told me 5/16 is fine and is what I used. Used the factory line as a return and added a 3/8 delivery line. The problem with almost any sender I could find was the the return was only 1/4 which is too small. I’ve heard of some that drill it out and solder in a larger line. I added a bulk head fitting to my tank with a piece of submersible fuel line to the bottom of the tank. Was told to run it to the bottom so it didn’t aerate the fuel. Factory sender return makes a turn to the side so after using a little gas it would be exposed and maybe create an aeration problem. #6 on this Top 10 Sniper EFI Installation Tips from Holley's Tom Kise
External pump is a pain to locate too. I can go on but the short version is get a Tanks Inc Efi tank and be done with it. I jacked around trying to modify the factory tank, add a return and find a good pump location and was never happy with it. Pump is loud, sucked air when tank got down and never really worked right. Went Tanks Inc and it has worked flawlessly since.
Not sure on the air cleaner but the way it is designed you can use a drop base if needed (not on FiTech though)

If you don't go "too huge" on the fuel pump you could get away with the small nipple sender for a return, but I'd say "barely."

When I did my 67, I just plumbed my CO2 tank up to the feedline through the MIG regulator and filled the tank with CO2, then punched a hole in the front of the tank above and to one side of the sender and silver brazed it in there. (High temp silver solder.) This was when I was starting to fuss with the old Holley TBI and I used 1/4" I wish now I'd put 5/16/ 3/8 in there

I guess another way to go if you are worried about welding on the tank would be to pull the filler tube out and braze/ silver/ weld a fitting into the filler, then bring a tube up through the floor grommet to connect

I am also installing a sniper this spring. I actually bought the Sniper tank with the sender and pump. Looks like a decent set up and according to Holley both delivery and return should be 3/8". I bought both the lines from InLine for $100.00 delivered with their holiday special. You probably could get away with the 5/16" return, I'm just trying to stay minimize potential problems.

I am also installing a sniper this spring. I actually bought the Sniper tank with the sender and pump. Looks like a decent set up and according to Holley both delivery and return should be 3/8". I bought both the lines from InLine for $100.00 delivered with their holiday special. You probably could get away with the 5/16" return, I'm just trying to stay minimize potential problems.

Actually you are likely better off using 5/16 for supply and 3/8 for return. The 5/16 is under high pressure pump pressure, and the return needs to be "free flowing" or low restriction

From what I understand I also still need a vent line which I am going to use one of the old 5/16" lines for that. I already have everything including the new 3/8" lines and it's probably going to be tight. I'm not sure if you will need a vent line on your 69 but you will need a return.

I also bought the Hyperspark ignition distributor, CD box and coil. I was going to start a thread once I get started.

From what I understand I also still need a vent line which I am going to use one of the old 5/16" lines for that. I already have everything including the new 3/8" lines and it's probably going to be tight. I'm not sure if you will need a vent line on your 69 but you will need a return.

I also bought the Hyperspark ignition distributor, CD box and coil. I was going to start a thread once I get started.

Did your originally have the 1/4 line front to rear? If so then that was your vent. Some CA '70 cars had this, but 69/' earlier were vented in the filler tube with a small line going down through the trunk.

I bought a tanksinc tank and ran braided stainless PTFE with AN fittings, easy peasy.
I was going to use the original line as the return but it was much easier, cleaner, safer, to replace.

What is a "moderately modified 30"?

What is a "moderately modified 30"?
LMAO. I meant to say 340. It is at about 375 HP.
UPDATE! I called Holley and the tech guy told me that if the second nipple on my sending unit was indeed 3/8" like the outflow nipple, that would work fine. It kind of makes sense that if 3/8" is big enough for the output, it would be big enough the return. So now I am wondering, "Did I buy a 3/8" unit or he standard 5/16" one. "I seem to remember buying the bigger one, but now that I am second guessing myself, I'll have to check. I just filled the tank.

LMAO. I meant to say 340. It is at about 375 HP.
UPDATE! I called Holley and the tech guy told me that if the second nipple on my sending unit was indeed 3/8" like the outflow nipple, that would work fine. It kind of makes sense that if 3/8" is big enough for the output, it would be big enough the return. So now I am wondering, "Did I buy a 3/8" unit or he standard 5/16" one. "I seem to remember buying the bigger one, but now that I am second guessing myself, I'll have to check. I just filled the tank.
I couldn't find any thing bigger than 1/4 on any that I looked at and I looked everywhere..
I thought it would have really made the install easy but after going through it, there is more to it. While you're under checking the sender return size look around for a spot for the pump, supposed to be within 3 feet of the tank and lower than the tank, plus pre filter. I was suprised on how much space it took, the fuel line is not as flexible as you think and finding a safe spot on my Dart was hard. I ended up taking the line up and over the tank and mounting it behind it with some drop down brackets to get it to be level with the bottom of the tank. Added a bulkhead for the return that was no fun, leaked the first time, and the external pumps are loud.
Not affiliated with any of the vendors.. Do yourself a favor and buy the efi tank. Buy the Sniper unit only for $995. save the $259 and put it toward this. It's worth the extra 200 bucks. Tanks Inc. TCR11B-T-KIT
Here are some pictures of my factory tank to see what I tried, with the recommended 3 feet max fuel line. The video is of the noisy pump (FiTech pump) at idle, windows up.
Just trying to help/save you some trouble.
Pump link iCloud Photo Sharing

2D7376B5-E417-456C-8331-F8532B38CA94.jpeg

E39EB913-737F-4D84-8659-3179A26BF547.jpeg

Last edited:
I couldn't find any thing bigger than 1/4 on any that I looked at and I looked everywhere..
I thought it would have really made the install easy but after going through it, there is more to it. While you're under checking the sender return size look around for a spot for the pump, supposed to be within 3 feet of the tank and lower than the tank, plus pre filter. I was suprised on how much space it took, the fuel line is not as flexible as you think and finding a safe spot on my Dart was hard. I ended up taking the line up and over the tank and mounting it behind it with some drop down brackets to get it to be level with the bottom of the tank. Added a bulkhead for the return that was no fun, leaked the first time, and the external pumps are loud.
Not affiliated with any of the vendors.. Do yourself a favor and buy the efi tank. Buy the Sniper unit only for $995. save the $259 and put it toward this. It's worth the extra 200 bucks. Tanks Inc. TCR11B-T-KIT
Here are some pictures of my factory tank to see what I tried, with the recommended 3 feet max fuel line. The video is of the noisy pump (FiTech pump) at idle, windows up.
Just trying to help/save you some trouble.
Pump link iCloud Photo Sharing

View attachment 1715280243

View attachment 1715280244
I'm going with the Sniper tank which is probably the same. Like you say whey go through the extra nonsense, not worth it for a few bucks.

Just finished install on the sniper and used the Tanks Inc fuel tank with the Walbro pump and the tube sender unit . A really nice piece and the FI works great as its still learning . Its a blast to drive.

-
Back