Reusing head bolts

-
Never seen where it's required and I have reused them on mild builds before, but something with a lot of time and money in I replace them and recommend it to others. Kinda cheap insurance.

i use stock head bolts, no issues EVER.

i even use stock 340 main bolts spin'n 7k

To a great extent the idea comes from old wives tails and fear marketing.imo

app specific though, if you are running 13.5 blown/super mega double ultimate happiness fly to the moon stuff....then maybe head STUDS need to be used

unless they're Torque-To-Yield ( aluminum heads and Diesel heads typically ) , you're probably okay .

Like anything , they fatigue with time , use and heat/cool cycles .

I reused the head bolts on my 1972 Coronet's stock318 ( replaced the blown head gaskets ) ; I also reused the rocker shafts' bolts . 2 years and 22,000 miles later , I've had no problems .

So ARP Head Bolts are $85 at Summit and Mopar performance are about $65.

I'm not sure what your build is. But we all know how expensive it is to build an engine. So lets say you have $5K in a new engine what's another $85 for insurance!! Go with the new head bolts!

Best of luck with your build.

I have always reused head bolts... clean & run thread's, I need more confidence in after market bolts I guess.

You should always use brand new head studs while wearing a lab coat out of the wind and risk of any contamination to avoid totally trashing your motor....

Not.

The only people who will tell you different are the salesmen aching to sell you something you dont need. Reusing stock bolts is more than fine.

$85 that is BS, they were just $55 a few years back and that was an increase. They are now just raising prices every year to make more $.

Never again, last hot rod for me...taking Mega Bus to Washington DC in 2 months for just $31...then Mega taking me to Toronto for $3.50--yep, book early and Mega can be as low as $1.50 one way. Leaves me more money to spend on the hotties

Driving my hot rod down to DC would be more fun but not the hundreds for gas and then $40 a day parking, yuk....gets the point where its just not worth it when you look what else you can do with the money

Great,it's a mild 340 with iron heads. I figured it was a wives tale

Using my old ones, do not trust the new stuff since almost all of it comes from china now ..... will take my chances.

I think the rods bolts would be more to worry about then head bolts. Just grab a random rod and press out the bolt, chances are it's twisted or bent. Don't forget to have the rods resized.

I have reused ALOT of head bolts over the years. But for my high compression engines I use arp head bolts and I will re-use them. Peace of mind, plus they look better! LOL

I'd never reuse rod bolts. I'm just being "low buck chuck" at the moment :)

I'm with StrokerScamp....... Stock or mild build I will reuse the old bolts but if I am dumping a butt load of money into an engine I use new, premium bolts.

-
Back