Reusing studs?

-

Gabriel Larson

Reaction score
I am planning on putting on some new 10inch drums this week and was going to use a 5/8 whole saw to cut the swedged off to remove the hub but can I then reuse the old studs afterword's or should I replace them?

If you don't knock um out, why wouldn't you reuse them?

that is a valid point I guess I was worried that cutting the swedge could affect the integrity of the stud or something.
No, they'll be fine as long as you don't cut the studs half in two. lol

If you don't knock um out, why wouldn't you reuse them?

Maybe because they're probably 50+ years old and have been torqued who knows how many times? And since we're talking drums they're only 7/16" studs to begin with? Unless you're the original owner they have an unknown history possibly spanning decades where they were overtorqued, undertorqued, run through how many potholes or into how many curbs?

The opposite argument works just as well. You've got them out, why wouldn't you install new ones?

Maybe because they're probably 50+ years old and have been torqued who knows how many times? And since we're talking drums they're only 7/16" studs to begin with? Unless you're the original owner they have an unknown history possibly spanning decades where they were overtorqued, undertorqued, run through how many potholes or into how many curbs?

The opposite argument works just as well. You've got them out, why wouldn't you install new ones?
The way I read it, he hasn't knocked the studs out.

at least not yet lol
Mine is a 64 Valiant. While I agree they have been on and off who knows ho many thousands of times, the wheel studs are the last thing on my worry list. I do agree also, that if ever was a time to replace them, now is it. lol I've rebuild all the brakes on mine, replaced the wheel bearings...the whole bit and I put it right back together with the original studs. Do what makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. lol

The way I read it, he hasn't knocked the studs out.

at least not yet lol

I mean, if the swedges are getting cut and the drums are getting replaced then everything is off the car and you're about as close as you can get to installing new studs as you're going to get without actually doing it.

Do what you want, but 50 year old studs with an unknown history aren't my favorite to trust with my life. Will it be ok? Probably. Would it be a real kick in the *** if the studs shear and the wheel comes off when you hit a pothole? Yup. And you'd never know if new studs would have held up either, but you could always wonder.

Studs are so cheap, I would just get new ones. The old ones are probably fine, but I would get new ones.

Studs are so cheap, I would just get new ones. The old ones are probably fine, but I would get new ones.
Guys I agree, now's the time. But the other argument is, he's going to be replacing them with cheapass chinkesium metallurgy. That's another factor. But.......if you want new, it's all we got.

That’s assuming the new studs aren’t garbage. I just changed out the front studs on my junk and I wasn’t impressed with the new studs all that much, but I had no choice.

If you want Quality *** U.S.A. made *** N.O.S. *** Wheel Studs --- and I have plenty of LEFT Handed Studs, as well,
P.M. me, if interested.....

Pretty likely the drums have been changed before over 50 years. If so, the swedges will have been cut off, so the drum should come out fairly easy. I have always thrown the drum down in an old parking lot, trying to hit it flat. After a few tosses, the hub falls out the center of the drum. But, perhaps those were not the OE drums. One reason to change studs is to get RH threads on the L side. If only you will be removing the wheels, no issue, but the common tire-monkey will surely f-up your studs and probably not tell you. They keep turning up their impact wrench until they spin the LH stud in the hole, then you will find it just spins when you try to change the tire later on the roadside. How would I know? (Thanks Goodyear monkey).

-
Back