Revamped cooling system

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
I'm going to do my cooling system, much needed. It's a 67 dart 10.5/1 340 , 6 pack hood scoop (fresh air) , aluminum heads, aluminum radiator , factory water pump , clutch fan with a puller electric fan for backup. Car runs between 180 but closer to 190 lately. I was looking into a victor water pump but a friend told me to get a meziere HD 50 gpm electric water pump and big electric fan. The car is street driven with 4.56 gears so it's always around 3k rpm. What's my best option, anyone have experience with the electric pumps? Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

I'm going to do my cooling system, much needed. It's a 67 dart 10.5/1 340 , 6 pack hood scoop (fresh air) , aluminum heads, aluminum radiator , factory water pump , clutch fan with a puller electric fan for backup. Car runs between 180 but closer to 190 lately. I was looking into a victor water pump but a friend told me to get a meziere HD 50 gpm electric water pump and big electric fan. The car is street driven with 4.56 gears so it's always around 3k rpm. What's my best option, anyone have experience with the electric pumps? Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Trying to wrap my head around your setup- how did you fit a clutch fan AND a puller electric in there?

Street or strip? Both?
Electric pumps require a revamped charging system- it's a large, constant draw. In addition to the "big electric fan"...
A smallblock water pump will put out about 40 GPM or more, give or take, depending on vanes and pulley ratio. the electric will not substantially change anything but the load on your electrical system. Track cars use them to minimize parasitic losses to the engine.
You made no mention of having a shroud on your current setup. First things first.

The last thing you want is an electric water pump on a street driven car. I can argue that many drag race only cars would do better with a mechanical pump.

Skip that electric ****.

Pretty cool you have 4.56’s. IMO the very BEST all around street/strip gear.

When my junker goes back together it will have 4.88’s. I have two inch taller tires so I went to the 4.88’s to make up for that.

The last thing you want is an electric water pump on a street driven car. I can argue that many drag race only cars would do better with a mechanical pump.

Skip that electric ****.

Pretty cool you have 4.56’s. IMO the very BEST all around street/strip gear.

When my junker goes back together it will have 4.88’s. I have two inch taller tires so I went to the 4.88’s to make up for that.
I did more research and I'm going to stick with a mechanical pump. I'm looking into the Victor, A little pricey but all good reviews. Anyone have any input? Also , I'm thinking about taking the electric fan off the outside of the radiator. I mounted it for a backup if in traffic etc. but it seems like it runs 5 to 10 degrees warmer. Do they really block that much air flow? Also , Flex fan or keep my clutch fan? Thank you for your help!

You didn’t answer the previous, fan shroud? That might be all you need.

I think you're overthinking it. Your current temps are fine. I would add a shroud at most and leave off the electric fan.

Spend your money on a fan shroud and some weatherstrip foam tape to seal it to the radiator and remove the electric fan.

Spend your money on a fan shroud and some weatherstrip foam tape to seal it to the radiator and remove the electric fan.
It seems like the electric fan caused more harm than good. Is there really that much interference?

-
Back