reverse clunk?

-

ltrripp11

Reaction score
anyone know or have a similar experience with a rather solid clunk in either rear end or transmission when put into reverse on a 72 727 torque flight. forward engagement is normal but i get a loud clunk when put in reverse. someone must know?

My brothers T/A Challenger did the same thing we changed out the third memeber and it was good to go.I would pull the drivshaft put it in reverse and if there is not clunk I would say its the third member.This is how we figured it out anyway... Jim

Does it just cluck once when you put it in gear?Or does it keep clunking as you back up?If it keeps clunking as you back up it may be the third memeber.If it is just one clunk when you put it in reverse you may need to replace the U-joints in the driveshaft... Jim

have you had a u joint failure or done big burnouts in 1st? if so it could be a sprag about to go.

no just the initial engagement into reverse. i would think if it was u-joints it would also do it in forward no?

If the 727 has a low/reverse band like the 904, the clunk is more than likely from the band/drum becoming glazed from hard use or from putting it in reverse cold with the engine at high idle for several seasons.

It is standard operating procedure for most overhaul shops to sand the drum down before putting on a new band. This breaks the glaze and allows a little extra oil to remain on the drum and cushion the band preventing the dreaded reverse clunk.

A lower idle setting can help soften the clunk too and prevent band glazing.

Since the low reverse band is only actuated during manual low or reverse I always avoid using it until engine is warm or at normal idle speed. My car still has a functioning choke with fast idle until warm up so I always back my car into it's parking slot to avoid using reverse when cold/high idle.

The reverse clunk is annoying but it won't hurt anything, your car is still healthy.

Pull the drive shaft a put some grease the drive spline of the front yoke.

thanks goldduster and all others. good info here. ill track it down.

-
Back