reverse lights not working

-

72swingerwoman

Reaction score
have a 72 dart swinger, and i cant figure out the reverse lights.. they worked last season and now this summer, there just dead... any ideas on where to trouble to shoot, looked at shifter, there was one wire that was unhooked rehooked it, but all those wires are dead, not sure if they will have juice to them or not.. on the transmission.. (sorry for my slander of mechanical stuff), but the wire that hooks onto that, there are three choices to plug into.. is there a certain one the wire needs to be hooked to? its connected to the middle one right now, i have no idea what that is for, im assuming that is for the reverse?....
looking for some trouble shooting ideas..
thanks
swingerwoman...

If there is only one wire going to the trans that will be neutral safety.
The 2 wires for reverse lamps would be going to a switch mounted at bottom of steering column inside car. If your car has floor shift the harness plug will be instead connected to a extending harness leading to a switch mounted on the floor shifter. Both purple wires if my memory serves correct

If you have three wires going to a plug/switch in the tranny (auto). One will be your reverse lights and one your neutral safety and one will be the power to the switch. The key must be on to check power to it.

so i only have one wire on my tranny for neutral, i ran two new wires up for the relay area, hopefully they will light up when i work on it on sunday... but atleast we got them so they are grounded right and they will atleast light up when forced to.. have a floor shifter but cant figure out where the wires are suppose to go to.. so i think running the wires to the relay under the dash will work?

-
Back