Reverse lockout question

-

demon700

Reaction score
My car was originally a 3spd manual on the column, and i have since put a 727 in and floor shifter, but now I can't get the key out of the ignition. First, I can't remember where reverse was on the column, and second, is there anyway to remove the lockout so I can still use the column?

If you get over into the passenger seat, turn your head to the left, and look straight at the side of the column, it is a simple "H" pattern. Reverse is "pull the shifter straight to the rear in line with the column" and then up towards the roof. Low gear is same, but down. Second is lift up, through the neutral gate, so the lever moves forward in line with the column, and then up toward the roof. third is straight down.

FIRST thing I would do is consult your factory shop manual

Download one here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

I would either figure out how to disable the lockout, or make sure that you are using the reverse/ first gate to operate the torqueflite, but the problem with THAT would be keeping the shifter in the rear gate (reverse/ first). I would guess that you would need to get the shifter into the first/ reverse gate, and pull the 2nd / third lever (bottom of column) all the way one way or 't other and wire it in place, so that the shifter cannot return to the 2/3 gate.

Most of us would find an auto column, or maybe buy a floor shifter??

-
Back