Reversive cluster mileage

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know this is “bad to do,” but…. I want my new cluster to have “69” miles on it because it’s funny. And it will annoy the shot out of my wife when she sees that I changed my cluster to “69” miles :rofl:

So… anyone know how to turn back the miles in this cluster?

IMG_3050.jpeg

I know this is “bad to do,” but…. I want my new cluster to have “69” miles on it because it’s funny. And it will annoy the shot out of my wife when she sees that I changed my cluster to “69” miles :rofl:

So… anyone know how to turn back the miles in this cluster?

View attachment 1716091533
Take it apart

I'd just print something out to stick in there. Wife seems unlikely to look close enough to know the difference ;)

I'd set it to 68 though, and tell her I'll owe her one.

Likely illegal in every state.

So is speeding… and texting and driving… and crossing the boarder without a passport or going through the proper channels… yet all those things happen daily.

It’s a 55yr old car, I just want to have some fun with it haha.

So is speeding… and texting and driving… and crossing the boarder without a passport or going through the proper channels… yet all those things happen daily.

It’s a 55yr old car, I just want to have some fun with it haha.
Not judging man, just letting you know. Murder is illegal too but you don't justify killing someone by saying it happens everyday.

Not judging man, just letting you know. Murder is illegal too but you don't justify killing someone by saying it happens everyday.

I just want to make a funny with the cluster to get my wife to roll her eyes. I’m sure the cops and other government officials have better things to do than to get mad at me for turning my cluster back to “69” miles. Hell the people at the DMV in my small town will probably laugh and think I’m an idiot like my wife will.

I did it once about 40 years ago, just to see if I could. Took a cluster out of a parts car, as I recall, there was a snap ring or clip and a tiny pin that basically held it all together, the really tricky part was getting all of the tumblers lined up correctly upon reassembly. Damned if I remember much else though.

I did it once about 40 years ago, just to see if I could. Took a cluster out of a parts car, as I recall, there was a snap ring or clip and a tiny pin that basically held it all together, the really tricky part was getting all of the tumblers lined up correctly upon reassembly. Damned if I remember much else though.
Damn 40 years for tampering with an odometer. Seems a little severe.:poke:

Back about 50 years ago, I was told you could tell the mileage had been altered on an odometer because the numbers wouldn't line up properly once somebody tried rolling it back.
I have recently seen cars for sale with the seller claiming really low, all original, documented mileage and the numbers were not lined up straight across.
I have owned old cars that have rolled over back to zero at 100K and the numbers were still all lined up perfectly.
Once you mess with it, it may never be right again.

Back about 50 years ago, I was told you could tell the mileage had been altered on an odometer because the numbers wouldn't line up properly once somebody tried rolling it back.
I have recently seen cars for sale with the seller claiming really low, all original, documented mileage and the numbers were not lined up straight across.
I have owned old cars that have rolled over back to zero at 100K and the numbers were still all lined up perfectly.
Once you mess with it, it may never be right again.
Almost every car I owned with a 5 digit odometer went around at least once.

Little saw dust in that noisy rear end. STP in power steering. Got a real cream puff.

Doc my 2 cents....

Don't mess with he speedo if it is functioning correctly.

There are many sensitive parts in there.

I messed with one of the ones I have and tried to roll back and could not figure it out. Seems easy but no thanks.

As for odometer reading. If you swap the head out for another the milage will be different, some states might have a form to fill out. But I doubt you will have any issues. Just tell them you replaced the speedo with another. DO NOT say you rolled it back.

Doc my 2 cents....

Don't mess with he speedo if it is functioning correctly.

There are many sensitive parts in there.

I messed with one of the ones I have and tried to roll back and could not figure it out. Seems easy but no thanks.

As for odometer reading. If you swap the head out for another the milage will be different, some states might have a form to fill out. But I doubt you will have any issues. Just tell them you replaced the speedo with another. DO NOT say you rolled it back.

I have no clue if it is working properly. It’s one of the spare parts from the new dart.

Ask a silly question and get silly answers.
Just make up a small post it and stick it on there. I won’t tell.

I've had speedometers rebuilt and had them set back to "0". On a 60 year old car who will care. By the time they are sold, I'll be gone. I'd never try to sell one as original low miles anyway. Once you take the odometer apart the numbers do not line up, but I don't have the patience to play around with it. I'm sure there is some trick...

I bought my 87 5.0 Mustang new. It had an 85 mph speedometer. It was common then to replace it with a Ford Motorsports 160 mph speedo.
I took the new one apart before I installed it and set it to the mileage that the original one had on it. I don't recall it being any trouble. I still have the car and the paperwork (and the original speedo). As I remember, the new one came with a sticker to put in the door jamb to denote the changed speedo.
Of course, I didn't need it. I'm sure it will befuddle whoever buys it when I'm gone. But the paperwork in the file that will go with the car will prove everything out.
But I think by then, who'll care? But they will know that the indicated mileage will be accurate.
Also, how many cars have had undocumented gear ratio changes (and the lack of accurate speedo documentation) or just have disconnected speedos? Mechanical speedos can be easily changed. Even today, people don't rely much on what an odometer reads when they buy a car.

-
Back