Rewiring my 64 D100 what ignition?

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a very good grasp on auto electrical wiring to build or modify a universal harness. I already have a bunch of wiring and connectors. The engine is a 440 truck engine with mild cam and the 727 has a Mopar higher stall converter. This is just for driving pleasure and I need it dependable. I'm trying to modernize before I add an EFI, sound system, AC, LEDs, cruise control and maybe a few other convinces. I converted the old wiring using the electronic ignition. No PerTronix...I've had two failures and I'm not going to use another. Is there any advantage to converting to HEI while I'm rewiring or leave the stock setup? Is there another ignition to consider? Craig

Well there are lots, but some of us have had good luck with a 4 pin HEI. I've forgotten the details offhand, but you can use the multipin HEI modules to interface with the likes of Holley EFI for timing control. You can trigger an HEI right off a Mopar breakerless distributor. I used one with the stock factory coil for two summers, and have been told "you can't." HEI controls coil current to some degree and I've had no trouble. With a better E core coil the HEI makes plenty of spark energy.

What EFI are you going to use? YOu would be wise to read up on whichever, to determine what might work best with it. The Holley website has all sorts of info on their systems.

I like it simple. I prefer the Mopar style electronic ignition.

HEI 4 pin. Wider plug gap (when you use the HEI coil) no ballast resistors, direct 12vdc and best of all runs better / better fuel mileage.
Syleng1

What's the "PRO COMP" (notorious brand of fail-prone Chinese trinkets) thing doing in the pic?
He rev limiter worked good for me. Thats the only Pro Comp part. Upgraded to a MSD for 2 step function. HEI I think is as solid as the MSD as far as spark goes.

my 64 d100 383 ign

DSC09254.JPG

DSC09255.JPG

DSC09256.JPG

DSC09257.JPG

DSC09258.JPG

DSC09259.JPG

DSC09260.JPG

DSC09261.JPG

Ok. I’m going with HEI so I’ll pre wire for it. 2nd thought about new one wire alternator, but I have several round and square backed ones.

Great choice. I’ve been using a Skip White HEI distributor for 5 years on my 71 D100 340 with no problems.

-
Back