Richard Petty 65 Barracuda? (Probably a replica)

-

OverTheHilins

Reaction score
So a few days ago; the body shop had me go in to check the car out. They showed me that the car had the word Plymouth painted on the quarter early in its life .They will be looking for the number 43 later this week.

Is it possible that it is a Petty personal car? Probably not, but still cool to think about. I'd imagine it was more than likely a replica car for a dealership; to bring people in.

Car was originally blue, and it had the same wheels as the pictured Petty car when I bought it.

IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6935.JPG

IMG_6933.jpg

IMG_6937.JPG

The original one was crashed so it was probably a copy.

The 43jr car was involved in a terrible accident where a little boy was killed. Richard took the car back to the Petty shop, crushed it with a bulldozer and buried it. Anything else is a clone.

thought petty's dug holes in the property and berried them , so none of there tricks could be had .

i do believe that the rear wheel houses were in stretched forward for that big rubber .
1708_discussions.jpg

Richard, and Maurice at Pocono Drag Lodge, in 1965. -- I parked beside them, in the pits, that day, and visited with them all afternoon. R P did a match, series, vs, a 427 Chevelle and killed it - 3 times.
011.jpg

thought there were two cars,second built to finish contracts with the track. It was at a car show a few years ago in Illinois. The second car that is.

That's the story I've been told. One buried in the backyard after the crash, which resulted in a boy dying, and one other car

The owner of the 2nd car would tell us in the 80's(?) that he owned this car and we didn't,well, at least I took it with a grain of salt. Said he got an extra blue rear plexiglass window for the King himself....after he verified the car was his at one point. The now owner sold his stash of NOS goodies and his brother helped him with the restoration. The car was then on display with Petty for awhile before coming back to Illinois. It's history has been in magazines so you don't hafta take my word for it.

There were 2 cars. The one in post #12 above was the second car. The original car that was involved in the crash where the kid was killed was pulled apart and sent to the Petty scrap yard behind the shop. It was eventually mashed up with heavy equipment and buried along with a lot of other stuff on the Petty compound. There is now a building sitting on the spot where you can see the remains of the 43jr still sitting above ground in one of the above photos. The cars remains were dug up many years later, and given to a friend of the Petty's, who owned a junk yard in eastern NC. The remains of the original 43jr #1 are still sitting in that junk yard today, and good for nothing but a conversation piece. Sounds like an urban legend, but it's true......I've seen it. As a side note....if you ever meet Richard Petty, don't ask about it. It's a painful memory for him that has never gone away. :(

There were 2 cars. The one in post #12 above was the second car. The original car that was involved in the crash where the kid was killed was pulled apart and sent to the Petty scrap yard behind the shop. It was eventually mashed up with heavy equipment and buried along with a lot of other stuff on the Petty compound. There is now a building sitting on the spot where you can see the remains of the 43jr still sitting above ground in one of the above photos. The cars remains were dug up many years later, and given to a friend of the Petty's, who owned a junk yard in eastern NC. The remains of the original 43jr #1 are still sitting in that junk yard today, and good for nothing but a conversation piece. Sounds like an urban legend, but it's true......I've seen it. As a side note....if you ever meet Richard Petty, don't ask about it. It's a painful memory for him that has never gone away. :(
This one I believe.

082f0ee9f9538be80c11856c1328d6df.jpg

BBkpp2I.jpg

A little before my time, but SEID was the first track I raced at and also the last before calling it quits in may days it was 1/8 mile. I have this on the wall in my car hauler that was done by a local artist that claims he was there and witnessed the wreck.

IMG_2645.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back