ride height problem

-

440 dart.

Reaction score
Does anyone know the factory front hub to hub dimensions and ride height for a 71 dart, I can't find anything on that. Thanks!

These are for 74 so I'm not sure how close they are.
I got this of the net somewhere but the measurements seem too low but maybe someone else can chime in.

bumper%20heights%201965%20through%201974%20cars%2022_zps1vqvqufg.jpg

The factory setting is kind of clumsy to measure (it's the difference to the ground between the LCA at the ball joint and the torsion bar - or something like that). I usually set mine to have about an inch between the LCA bumper and frame. Then measure from the frame to the LCA (metal to metal) and make both side even.

I assume you're looking to set your Dart with a BB in the stock location?

This might be off the wall for what you're looking for, but with a "modified" street car, suspension/tire size, I just set the front end height to what worked and was visually pleasing to me, and just had my alignment guy do his thing.

I actually used to jack mine up & down depending on my mood & what look I wanted at any given time...Hey, it was the 70's...lol!

For 69
the track widths; front 57.4, rear55.5
the heights
Barracuda; 1.375 +/- .125 Standard 318 tire size was 7.00-13
Valiant ; 2.125 +/- .125 Standard 318 tire size was 6.95-14
Its the same front end. So, putting 14s on the barracuda would bring its height to 1.875. Averaging then nets 2 inches.
The height is the difference between ; the lowest point of one adjusting blade to the floor, and the lowest point of the steering knuckle arm to the floor.
Which can be like trying to hit a moving target, because every time you change the height by cranking the T-bar adjuster, the blade moves, then when you crank the other side up, both sides again move. Yeah its tricky.
In practice just get it close, then level it. Its not critical.The car needs to be rolled after every T-bar adjustment to relax the suspension.And the ride height needs to be set before the alignment, and not changed afterwards. Tweaking the ride height, changes the toe-in and that leads to tire wear, and to wandering and possibly to high speed instability. Caster and camber change too, but to a much lessor extent. Only the measurement-conscious would care.(I said tweaking).
All measurements here quoted are for 69 and for Plymouths. However, its the exact same front end.

I assume you're looking to set your Dart with a BB in the stock location?

This might be off the wall for what you're looking for, but with a "modified" street car, suspension/tire size, I just set the front end height to what worked and was visually pleasing to me, and just had my alignment guy do his thing.

I actually used to jack mine up & down depending on my mood & what look I wanted at any given time...Hey, it was the 70's...lol!

agree,set it where you like the stance,then get it aligned

-
Back