Riding lawn mowers

-
Cub Cadet CC30

I didn't even know that they made those. I've been looking for an International Harvestor/Cub Cadet 'Cadet 60' for years. My Grandpa had one but turned it in on scrap day in Longmont, Colorado a few years before he died. I keep hoping I'll find it on some Craigslist somewhere.

I have an '80's Wheelhorse with a cast iron Kohler engine. Got it out of the junkyard, needed points and a fuel pump. The deck and spindles are in excellent shape.

View attachment 1715985684
The things that people junk, amazes me. Most times an old machine like that is far from used up and doesn't need all that much to work again.
I just wish Kohler would have stayed with those engines they'd still have the reputation as the best out there. Today's Kohler's are a shell of what they used to be. They should have stopped "innovating" after the magnum or at least the command series. Anything from them since is total crap.
And they act like they're ashamed to have built engines stronger than the $#1t-house at one time in their existence. The courage and after that the 7000 series are worthless.

Do tell us the details about the engine in that sucker!
US built Lastec 4520 x 10' cut zero turn with 5 articulating anti scalpe decks. You can drive it over a mound like 5 guys pushing 25" lawnmowers. Cuts 10 acres/hour at 9mph... which will be nice as it currently takes me about 6 to 7. 45hp x 4 cylinder Kubota diesel. Weighs 2700lbs. The one I'm hopefully getting is 3 years old with 900 hours on it and meticulously maintained by my Wife's cousin. He owns a golf course and is negotiating a lease buy out for me to get it "cheap". New was $65k... getting it hopefully for 22. They sell at auction for over 30k with a lot more hours on them. If we can't do the deal with Lastec... it'll be goats!

US built Lastec 4520 x 10' cut zero turn with 5 articulating anti scalpe decks. You can drive it over a mound like 5 guys pushing 25" lawnmowers. Cuts 10 acres/hour at 9mph... which will be nice as it currently takes me about 6 to 7. 45hp x 4 cylinder Kubota diesel. Weighs 2700lbs. The one I'm hopefully getting is 3 years old with 900 hours on it and meticulously maintained by my Wife's cousin. He owns a golf course and is negotiating a lease buy out for me to get it "cheap". New was $65k... getting it hopefully for 22. They sell at auction for over 30k with a lot more hours on them. If we can't do the deal with Lastec... it'll be goats!
HOLY COW! I wasnt expecting that. (Doors blown off)

HOLY COW! I wasnt expecting that. (Doors blown off)
More than I really want to spend to cut grass... but a new John Deere zero turn
with a 60" flat deck is $8500 up here. X2 machines for same cut width is $17k. I've wasted way too many hours cutting grass vs flying off of it or cruising in a car so hoping the biggest commercial cut mower will give me more freedom. If not I'll sell it to a lawn care outfit and make some money. Probably enough to pay them to cut my grass till I die!

Mid 2000s Troybilt Bronco with a 42 inch deck. It Was given to my dad with flat tires and bad gas. He had a couple of better 48" deck mowers, after he cleaned it up and drained the varnished gas, it runs like a champ.

He offered it to me for the same price. I ended up paying him the $200 in gas to haul it in the 450 miles to my house, plus an extra $150 for the trouble.
20220916_151446.jpg

I've put a set of belts through it and it has run lgreat ever since it arrived a few years ago. Perfect size for my half acre and saves me a couple hours a week over the old 20" push mower.

Plus it has a Beer holder. My wife called it a cup holder the other day and I had to remind her that it was only meant to hold beer hehehe.

I can get it to wheelie launch if I set the brake, lean all the way back and stomp on the gas. . Lean forward and it does donuts pretty good in the gravel as well.

Last edited:
The things that people junk, amazes me. Most times an old machine like that is far from used up and doesn't need all that much to work again.
I just wish Kohler would have stayed with those engines they'd still have the reputation as the best out there. Today's Kohler's are a shell of what they used to be. They should have stopped "innovating" after the magnum or at least the command series. Anything from them since is total crap.
And they act like they're ashamed to have built engines stronger than the $#1t-house at one time in their existence. The courage and after that the 7000 series are worthless.
I see too many single cylinder Kohler Courage engines in the junkyard. I think they came close to a class action lawsuit on that one. I have an otherwise good zero turn with a Command twin with a broken connecting rod. Got to get that fixed to cut my mowing time to a third or less.

Yeah but that's only one engine. And yeah it was a bad one. Lots of good ones out there (with engines that have a better rep) get junked for stupid minor issues.
Like this Deere. LT166 I have,, sat long enough for tires to rot all the way thru sidewalls. Big gashes that no tube could ever seal. That's time it sat with no hours being put on the engine!!!
I had other tires here, to swap onto it. Reason it sat? Wouldn't draw fuel. Pickup tube in tank had pinholes in it. PO tried wiring in an electric pump and still couldn't get it to draw from the tank so he parked it. A $24 part from Deere. Has a Briggs vanguard twin cyl 16hp on it.
I've done other work to it as well/ once I saw why it wouldn't run and fixed that problem. Cleaning the rust and sludge out of the tank (thankfully it is plastic, I guess) was a much bigger task than replacement of that pickup tube. All minor things. Runs great, and it's FOR SALE hint hint.

I see too many single cylinder Kohler Courage engines in the junkyard. I think they came close to a class action lawsuit on that one. I have an otherwise good zero turn with a Command twin with a broken connecting rod. Got to get that fixed to cut my mowing time to a third or less.
What kind of mower? (Brand, size of deck)
Horizontal or vertical shaft? What HP is on it now?
Where a bouts are you located?
Never know what someone else here, might have just laying around in the shed to get you going....

Brought her home today... Wife's cousin managed to haggle his lease buy out down even better than he expected. Can't wait to cut grass and mulch leaves in the morning. Apparently the only vehicle I'm allowed to buy this Fall...
lastec4520articulator 009.jpg

lastec4520articulator 036.jpg

lastec4520articulator 039.jpg

Bought this one for my son-in-law (and Daughter) last week. 16 year old L120 Auto that only has 365 hours on it. Like new... 800 Canuck Bucks.. 22hp Briggs & Straton w/48" deck.
20221024_151536.jpg

I bought a new John deere rider 10 years ago and it still has the original battery. Runs great, uses no oil. The reason why I bought it was for the hydrostatic deck and power steering. Paid 4k for it new.

-
Back