Right angle filter adaptor

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a filter adapter from a 66 273. I am planning on using on a 75 318. Should the filter point direcly towards the rear of the car? And what is the best way to remove the screw on adapter for the filter that is allready on the engine? Thanks.

I put it in the car first then angle it. on my car it angles straight towards the back don't forget the gasket

Thanks. Does anyone know the easiest way to remove the straight piece that the filter screws onto on my 75 motor? And is it threaded behind it to accept the right angle adapters bolt (pipe) ?

The threaded tube that the filter screws on to just simply screws out. The adapter bolt screws in no problem. Some of the threaded tubes are removed with an allen wrench or was it a 3/8 square, like a 3/8 ratchet extension for example. I'm having memory laspse right now. And like moparmatt said don't forget the gaskets, there are three gaskets in the adapter kits.
Bob

The threaded tube that the filter screws on to just simply screws out. The adapter bolt screws in no problem. Some of the threaded tubes are removed with an allen wrench or was it a 3/8 square, like a 3/8 ratchet extension for example. I'm having memory laspse right now. And like moparmatt said don't forget the gaskets, there are three gaskets in the adapter kits.
Bob

It's a 3/8" square drive.

I recomend the NAPA instant gasket or what ever its called. Come out of a can like easy-cheese. I tried the gaskets they provide with the adapter. I started my engine and it poured out of the angle adapter. (Also didn't help that my engine had 75lbs of pressure). I used that Napa gasket out of the can and haven't seen any problems. I sealed the adapter around the hollow bolt and around the adapter. Wait for the gasket to get tacky and apply.

Mick, Did you put the NAPA instant gasket on the gaskets or use it without the gaskets?
Bob

I used it with out the gaskets. I was told that Chrysler is actually useing the product on there assembly line. I don't know if that is true or not, but I am very impressed with it.

Thanks I got the old adapter out today. I'm ready to put the new right angle in but can't find a torque spec for the bolt anywhere?

I still haven't found the torque spec. And I was looking for the spec on another site and they mentioned there should be three gaskets with the adapter. I only have 2. 1 for the base of the adapter and 1 under the head of the bolt. They mentioned a third thick cork gasket that also goes on the bolt. Is this correct?

I understand the one under the head of the bolt and the big one that seals the adapter to the block but where does the third one go? I bought my adapter used so I didn't see it come off the car. I'm assuming there only 2 pieces, the main body of the adapter and the bolt.

The "third" gasket or the thick cork gasket goes on the inside of the adapter. In other words, after you stick the bolt through the adapter you slip the cork washer on the bolt. Hope this helps.

Yes that does help Thanks. Does it slip all the way up the bolt right up against the adapter? What does it do? Also when I was looking at the adapter kits I saw some with the plate that goes up against the block and some without. I thought the plate was for the straight filter adapter. I guess my question is, is there a plate that goes between the right angle adapter and the block or does the right angle adapter mount directly to the block with no plate at all?

The cork gasket seals the bolt to the block. In other words, keeps the oil coming out of the block going directly to the filter. The adapter should bolt directly to the block with the original filter plate removed.

As far as a torque spec goes, LOOK AT THE BOLT! You really don't want to smoke that sucker home with the gorilla wrench. I tend to tighten these just enough to hold a well glued (Permatex aviation, NOT RTV) gasket in place, and not leak. I use a spot of LocTite on the threads as well.

DART66GT,

Where did you find the filter adaptor? I am looking for one for my 65 Barracuda...I ended up installing a filter to my fenderwell when we put in the 360. Congrats on getting yours installed and thanks to everyone for the guidance on the installation.

65Barracuda
John

As far as a torque spec goes, LOOK AT THE BOLT! You really don't want to smoke that sucker home with the gorilla wrench. I tend to tighten these just enough to hold a well glued (Permatex aviation, NOT RTV) gasket in place, and not leak. I use a spot of LocTite on the threads as well.

Good advice Chief.

Does anyone know where I can get the cork gasket for the bolt? no one around here has anything except the large gasket for the adapter. I'll buy the whole gasket set if I have to. It looks like I'm going to have to order it from somewhere.

Try Mancini Racing. They have the gasket set for the filter adapter for $6.95 (plus shipping of course). Part # MOPP5249320.

-
Back