Right angle oil filter adapter

-

moparker

Reaction score
Is the purpose of this to keep the oil filter away from the exhaust so it doesn't get to hot? If not, can I go without and just put the filter on the block? 71 Duster 340 auto with hooker super comps.

You can jsut put the filter on the block if you want. I took mine off of my 340 in my 72 when I put on TTI's.

It was mandatory for clearance if you had the factory cast-iron header-looking manifolds.

Was the clearance issue for removal or to reduce heat on the filter?

So are the smaller filters ok or not?

You can usually get away with the smaller filter. Ive used them for years but like stated they wont work with the stock 68-70 Hi-Po manifolds.

There is no difference in performance or engine protection?

Short or long filter just wouldn't fit, with the factory cast header-style manifolds- PERIOD.

There was just enough room for the rt angle adapter to fit under.

They were/are a pain, mainly making them seal with a hi-pressure oil sys. If you can screw on a filter with your headers, I wouldn't worry about it.

There is no difference in performance or engine protection?

There's never a performance or protection gain, when you increase the distance the oil has to travel.

If you're wanting clearance with tube headers, I'd slightly dimple the offending tube and drive on.

I wouldn't worry about heat transfer from the headers to the filter. It's coming in contact with plenty of other hot stuff in the engine.

And my line above about increasing the distance the oil travels- not meant to include the subject of oil coolers.

Sorry, I re-read the entire thread, and I don't think I was even answering the question that was originally posed.

Having a bigger filter adds oil volume so each molecule of oil does less work between oil changes, a good thing. A larger filter has more surface area so it is less likely to bypass and allow unfiltered oil into the engine, a good thing. A larger filter has more surface area that will help to cool the oil, a good thing.

If it were me I would keep the 90 degree adapter and run the biggest filter I could find. The PH8A was the standard large size filter used on mopars but there is even a bigger one that is spec'd for Vipers that will fit.

If you do get rid of the 90 degree adapter you will need the mounting plate and screw on boss plus a gasket to make the swap.

Thanks for all the help guys. The motherf@#$er has always leaked on me. It is a pain to get lined up right lying on your back fighting the torsion bar and the header. As we all do, I shall overcome.

One more question. What size is the head of the bolt for the adapter?

once you take the adaper off you cannot bolt it to the block the filter is too small isn't it???
<

I think I need sosme sort of adapter plate. Someone mentioned that in a earlier post.

-
Back