Rim blow steering wheel

-

Wire

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a NOS Rim Blow Steering wheel still in the box, dated 1971. Included is the adaptor can and the horn. I have a friend that has a lot of Mopar NOS parts from the Seventies. I want to put it on my 1970 340 Dart. How much is this worth? Thanks

If he is a friend offer him 500.00 for it. you never know. 500.00 is a lot of money for a steering wheel!

Paid $1200 for an NOS 1970 B body steering wheel, brand new in box. Still too much money in my opinion......

why pay NOS prices for a non correct part? keep looking

'71 rimblow wheels are the same as '70, and they often didn't appear anywhere in the build info. '71 was the last year for the rimblow wheel option, it was discontinued for '72, and they just put them on a lot of cars at the factory to get rid of all the extra stock. At least that's the popular theory. Lots of plain jane '71 cars ended up with rimblow wheels.

My EL5 GT had a rimblow wheel from the factory, and there's nothing on the fender tag or build sheet to indicate that it came with one. They often came with the GT package, but it wasn't on the list of included options. I suspect my other GT had one as well because the steering wheel was replaced with a cheap aftermarket wheel, but that car was parted out by some a-hole who took all of the expensive items- 8 3/4, bucket seats, console, etc before I got it.

So, while it might not be "correct" for that car, there's really no good way to prove it is or it isn't because of the number of cars that had them from the factory without documentation.

'71 rimblow wheels are the same as '70, and they often didn't appear anywhere in the build info. '71 was the last year for the rimblow wheel option, it was discontinued for '72, and they just put them on a lot of cars at the factory to get rid of all the extra stock. At least that's the popular theory. Lots of plain jane '71 cars ended up with rimblow wheels.

My EL5 GT had a rimblow wheel from the factory, and there's nothing on the fender tag or build sheet to indicate that it came with one. They often came with the GT package, but it wasn't on the list of included options. I suspect my other GT had one as well because the steering wheel was replaced with a cheap aftermarket wheel, but that car was parted out by some a-hole who took all of the expensive items- 8 3/4, bucket seats, console, etc before I got it.

So, while it might not be "correct" for that car, there's really no good way to prove it is or it isn't because of the number of cars that had them from the factory without documentation.

My '71 Dart GT also had a Rimblow (currently removed and looking to have a buddy restore it) when I bought it. I never found any mention of it on my fender tag or build sheet either. Quirky but cool option. I imagine the Rimblow was not very popular with manual steering cars.

I remember Bruce (7071DartGTReg) (RIP) saying that he thought every single 71 Dart made came through with a rim blow wheel. He felt like Chrysler was trying to use them all up.

That said, I think stupid high prices are just that. Stupid. Firstly, they are not all that rare. Secondly, they are not all that desirable, because they malfunction badly. They blow when you don't want them to and don't blow when you need them to. They were cool, but IMO the standard Tuff Wheel was much more reliable and looked a little better.

If you give even 500 for one, they saw you comin. They ain't "all that".

-- I have a chance to buy a NOS Rim Blow Steering wheel still in the box, dated 1971. Included is the adaptor can and the horn. I have a friend that has a lot of Mopar NOS parts from the Seventies. I want to put it on my 1970 340 Dart. How much is this worth? Thanks --
-- It's a Cool Item, -- BUT -- It just blows the horn, and no one even notices it. -- Oh, I'm sure a few Guys would. -- Just my 2 cents.

last one i sold a few years ago was a nice used one that the horn button was no good.. got over $500 for it..

My 71 dart swinger has one. i never even knew what it was till some guy at the gas station asked about it. I said it never had a horn. (no horn button) The guy reached in and brabbed the wheel and we hear the relay click. (the wire had fallen off.) hooked up the wire and walla i got a horn. like was said, it dont work wheen i want and you gotta get used to holding the wheel to not make it blow while turning.

When I bought my Swinger the previous owner put a RoadRunner wheel and horn on it. He looked in a cabinet in the corner of the garage and pulled out the original wheel. A Rim blow. I will get it restored just because.

Attachments

• 014 (2).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 796
When I bought my Swinger the previous owner put a RoadRunner wheel and horn on it. He looked in a cabinet in the corner of the garage and pulled out the original wheel. A Rim blow. I will get it restored just because.

That's the type I want to buy (Rim blow) . It is black in color and will match my interior. I thought it had a adapter can, I was wrong. I talked to him tonight and he said it was one piece steering wheel. I'm traveling to his house Saturday to see it for the first time and hopefully it's coming home with me. Thanks for all the comments

They are cool. What you pay is what it's worth to you.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 016.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 294
  • 036.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 243
attachment.php

Well that's weird...

The one on my Dart looks just like the 3 spoke for the Barracuda. I've only seen the 3 spoke style on A-bodies...

s-l1600 (3) (1).jpg

Last edited:
attachment.php

Well that's weird...

The one on my Dart looks just like the 3 spoke for the Barracuda. I've only seen the 3 spoke style on A-bodies...

That three spoke is the one they put most in the Darts but in 71.

70 darts had the above style, 71 darts had the cuda style 3 spoke. that is what i was refering to when i said not correct. also he said dated 71 to use on a 70 dart? visa versa i could see but not a 71 wheel on a 70 car.

.............I believe my old 70 swinger with the black wheel posted above was option or code S33 if my memory serves me right.............kim.......

-
Back