ring and pinion suggestions

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 8.75 rearend with a 3:91 ratio. 489 case. I am going to go with a 3:55 ratio. would you go with a Richmond gear or Auburn gear or somethin else. I heard a Richmond gear is pretty noisy. Please give me your suggestions.thanks

If gears make noise it's more likely installer error instead of brand.

If gears make noise it's more likely installer error instead of brand.
X2 on that! Also find yourself another 489 case and have the 3.55 put into with a solid sleeve instead of the crush sleeve. This way you can swap between the two gear sets in about 30 minutes or so.

Ditto.I happen to have Richmond gear is my 8-3/4 now for about a good 20 years and it has never been anything but a quite ride.

I've only used 1 set of Richmond's and they were the easiest gears I've set up and ran as quiet as a church mouse. The suggestion of the solid pinion spacer is a good one. Their cheap and make the set up easier and no chance of the factory type crush sleeve collapsing more. It's not something that happens a lot but it does happen.

thanks guys. I guess I will go with a richmond then. I was going to go with the solid sleeve anyways. I will have a 3:23 ring and pinion and a 4:10 ring and pinion for sale.

Some richmonds do make noise, but you'll need to beyond 4.10 ratio to find that out.

I wouldn't worry about the sleeve over a crush collar

-
Back