Ring Gap Question, How much is too much?

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
Alright I am rebuilding a stock bore '73 440. I slipped my rings down in the bore and checked the gap with a feeler gauge, I consistantly get .027 on each cylinder. That is at the very top and down towards the bottom. They are straight as can be, they have been honed, but not bored. I am using standard rings, I believe they are Hastings that I got from P.A.W a while back. Every thing I have been reading says not to go over .025, I am just wondering if I am making a mistake by using these rings.

My question is: With the original pistons, and these rings, is that amount of ring gap going to cause problems? Am I going to have excessive blow by? This not going to be a race engine, I don't plan on getting over 5000 RPM. Going to be more like a daily driver. I wanted to ask around before I finish this stage so that I can pull them back out (only have 4 pistons in right now) in favor of some file-fit rings.

Thanks!

I would say that it is too much at .27 unless you are running a big shot of NOS, in which case a larger gap is better. The mopar books say somewhere around .10 to .12 for top and second rings, I believe, if my memory is correct. I had around .24 and had too much blow-by. Can you get an oversize ring and file fit them. That would be best if you are not boring it out.

Its not the best idea to have that much gap cause when they break in it will gain 2 or 3 more thou....I have seen engines get by with big gaps as long as the revs are kept down, will likely make 25-30 k before starting to suck oil bad.... Dont worry, be happy....If u have the time u could file fit a .010 ring .A bore job would be best,all depends on the budget and time frame...........kim......

-
Back