ring-pinion setup

-

pagilman

Reaction score
Can anyone steer me to a tech article on setting up a ring and pinion in an 8 1/4 rear, I searched the tech tab and couldn't find any posts on this. Thanks walt :sad1:

Hey Pagilman, I'm sorry but I gotto ask something. In your garage you list your duster as being an original 340, are you sure that your rearend is a 8 1/4" and not a 8 3/4". Don't hate me for asking, just curious cuss I thought all 340's came original with the 8 3/4".

Terry

Terry, you are right. I better check my garage. I am just building my 340 and have almost everything to the complete drive train switch. She is now running every weekend with a 43K original /6.That engine and auto and rear are perfect and will make someone a good replacement for a /6 purist when I get it out. I think 72 was the last year for the 8 3/4. I think the 1973 340 duster came with a 8 1/4 rear. does anyone know for sure? It was the last year for the 340. I will correct my garage. Thanks walt. :coffee2:

Hey don't worry about your garage Walt I was just curious about the rear in your Duster, love that 340 wedge on the hood also.

terry

Thanks Chuck, I guess that since 73 they started backing the horsepower down on all the engines a 8 3/4 wasn't required.

Terry

It's weird that they killed the 8 3/4 in the a-body in '72 because the e-bodies still got them until '74, same with the 1/2 ton truck and b-bodies.

Chuck

-
Back