RIP Jeff Beck

-
Always mentioned when talking about the best.. Losing a lot of contemporary musicians. Guess that's the problem with them getting old, of course I'm not getting old. RIP the Yardbird man, and so much more.

Bummer. Saw him (w/SRV) in 1989 at the UIC pavilion in Chicago and 1999 at the Tabernacle in Atlanta. Mind blowing virtuoso

I just realized how sad this makes me. The greatest rock generation is leaving us. I saw beck some years ago, at the FOX Theatre in Detroit. His abilities and contributions are truly immense and one of a kind.

A very nice fellow, talented and was one of the best guitar players for many years and many bands, RIP Jeff, thank you for the memories of your music

He could really rip it up. May he rest in peace.

He was a bit before my time, so I'm a bit unfamiliar with some of his work. Besides the Yardbirds, what band(s) was he in?? What were some of his most popular hit songs?

He was a bit before my time, so I'm a bit unfamiliar with some of his work. Besides the Yardbirds, what band(s) was he in?? What were some of his most popular hit songs?
Look up Jeff Beck , Truth album. A lot of good songs ,not to mention introducing a guy named Rod Stewart on vocals

Darn it. One of my favorites. So under exposed for much of his career. A guitarist's guitarist.

Last edited:
I just realized how sad this makes me. The greatest rock generation is leaving us. I saw beck some years ago, at the FOX Theatre in Detroit. His abilities and contributions are truly immense and one of a kind.
I took My Mom to see him at the Fox Theatre in Saint Louis Mo. in 2009
One of the Best Shows I ever saw... :(

Read that on another forum earlier.

I was an instant fan the first time I heard him.

"Guitarist's guitarist" is correct.

I left a big reply on FBBO. He was an amazing guitarist and composer. A humble fella he was that on purpose thanked GOD for not being in the lime light as a super star.

Not many know, but he was scheduled to play at Woodstock. Not liking something about it, he just picked up and left NY flying back to England. No one knew until it was too late. He loved not playing there.

His career started when his teenage friend Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) got him into the Yardbirds wheee J Page was playing bass at the time. He was in, then out, then back in again as co lead guitarists with, yep, J Page. Then he left again.

Whoa! Off to a roller coaster ride already!

From there he started his solo career basically fronting the band under “The Jeff Beck Group.” That’s where he picked up a few unknown players starting with Ronny Wood (Rolling Stones fame) and Rod Steward who later had a great solo career.

Jeff never had a solid line up for long. Sometimes it was due to an injury or just not feeling it. His line up changed often. While you may not know any of his counter parts, be sure they can play really well.

I missed the tour where Stevie Ray Vaughan warmed up for him being forced to work that night just two blocks from Madison Square Garden. Ahhhh, life of a rookie on the job and a sick head boss. Perhaps, just perhaps with some luck and a blessing from above, I’ll get to see these two play in heaven and I can only hope there up there still playing and making new and great music.

My favorite album is “Guitar shop” where he was shown the album cover just before its release. He was reported to smile and say, “They really get me!” It’s because he is a big lover of American Happy Days TV show style Hot Rods. See if you can catch the TV cable special “Jeff Beck - Still on the run.”

Below a couple of my fav tracks from “Guitar Shop”
Take about 10 minutes and enjoy!

“Savoy”

“Big Block”

-
Back