Ripped Off Beware !

-
Steve:
Sorry to hear you got blindsided. You are likely a trusting person and we tend to get taken in by those with no scruples.
Probably you have just paid more tuition at the School of Harde Knox, but a couple lessons here for the uninformed:
1) Use PayPal for transactions. Most times you will get your money back (after a fashion...lol!) if you file a complaint and the seller can lose his PP (and possibly, eBay) account.
2) If you don't like PP, use USPS Money Orders. The USPS takes mail fraud very seriously and will investigate, however, you may not get your money back.
3) Check the FABO Classifieds Warning Section to see if your seller is blacklisted there.
4) It VERY IMPORTANT to leave feedback in the User Control Panel (FEEDBACK tab) of both seller and buyer's UCP. Check the ratings there for negative feedback. I know it can seem like a PITA to bother with once a successful transaction is completed (by BOTH parties!) but it's more for the next guy than you! Pay it Forward! Fast payers should get excellent feedback, and great sellers should get glowing reviews as well. This gives future 'transaction-eers' something to go on besides trust.

I don't agree. I just used it and got a lot of real offers. I did get one scammer. But I'm a big boy and used my guts and brains.

I hate seeing people get ripped off, but it happens when not being careful.

I agree but not everyone is as internet savy. I have used it too in the past. It was always hit or miss for me.

Hello everyone just wanted to give everyone the heads up here as I was ripped off by a person that replied to my parts wanted add on our site here, The person was not a member here and contacted me through A bodies with a set of headers for sale we emailed back and forth and I had a bad feeling about the deal but went head with it anyway as the deal seemed real good I agreed to send half the money and the balance when I received the headers he wouldn't take paypal and would only accept Moneygram so I went along with it the addresss he gave me was an empty lot in Texas and the phone number was also no good he asked me to send the funds in his wifes name claiming he was sick and couldn't leave the house to receive it and that she would send it out his name was Jim Ramirez Garcia and his wifes name is Patricia Ramirez Address: 308 Campbell Dr Canyon Lake, TX 78133-6449 is what they gave me the money was picked up in Corpus Christie TX Moneygram outlet I was scammed big time here have emailed them everyday now and after a week today I got a reply : And here is what it reads : THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN HACKED!! SUPPORT ISIS!
Anybody have any idea's on what if anything can be done about this ???

Thanks Steve .

You made yourself a victim , next time open your eyes before sending out your money

Anybody have any idea's on what if anything can be done about this ???

I'm sorry this happened to you Steve...

But, I did send out a PM not too long ago explaining there is a scammer preying on forums, including ours and explained the things to look for, which are all the things that you say happened.

I also posted a thread and made it a sticky in the wanted forum.

I did these things to make our members aware of the problem. What can be done about it? Not much. These guys pull this on many sites. It could have been prevented had you paid attention to and heeded my warnings.

It's happened to the best of us Steve and thanks for the reminder.

If I was closer to Corpus I would possibly go out on a Trash Removal Recon.

Heads Up Folks!

Kinda hard for an attorney to take someone to court, that they can't find.

This guy says he's from Texas on here, other sites he claims he's from Florida.

I agree. Sucks you got ripped off but the only thing he didn't say was send me an extra $50 just incase shipping is more and I will refund the difference. Way to many red flags. I am not a member,sick,deaf,send only a money gram and put it in my wifes name etc..... You should have went with your instincts. When he said he was hearing impaired you should have said that's ok I will talk to your wife but then again he probably would have told you she had throat cancer and could not speak cause of her tracheotomy.......

Nailed it.

I'm sorry this happened to you Steve...

But, I did send out a PM not too long ago explaining there is a scammer preying on forums, including ours and explained the things to look for, which are all the things that you say happened.

I also posted a thread and made it a sticky in the wanted forum.

I did these things to make our members aware of the problem. What can be done about it? Not much. These guys pull this on many sites. It could have been prevented had you paid attention to and heeded my warnings.

It's a moneygram, not a money order that is the big red flag. Western union moneygrams are the biggest conduit for scammers to obtain money. There is zero recourse once it's in the system.

I'm new to this forum and I hate that you got scammed Steve, but thanks for sharing with us and thanks to everyone else for your advice on what to look out for.

there's always been scammers. always. the faceless internet in some ways just makes it easier.

Thanks for posting Steve. Sometimes we start to judge the world by our circle of friends - and then reality bites us in the butt. lots of sick people out there.

so main lesson here is always use Paypal or United States Postal Money Order? Mentioned post office will investigate, but not always recover the money? Also, with Paypal, are you usually guaranteed to get your money back?

with Paypal, are you usually guaranteed to get your money back?

Not exactly. There are no guarantees with Paypal either. You have to use your head and think to best protect yourself from scammers... If you have a bad feeling about a deal, you may be right...

Paypal does give you some protection, but I've seen where they have not always been helpful, and there is a thread on that here also....

Nothing is 100%. But with PP and USPS there is, at least, SOME recourse. WalMart Money orders or MoneyGram....forget about it. Those places could care less if you got scammed. With USPS there is mail fraud involved...which they take seriously....and with PP there is some fraud protection guarantee in place.
Like the others said, trust your gut and use your head. Saving a hundred bucks is great; but losing it to a scam will make you wanna throw up.

so main lesson here is always use Paypal or United States Postal Money Order? Mentioned post office will investigate, but not always recover the money? Also, with Paypal, are you usually guaranteed to get your money back?

Not exactly. There are no guarantees with Paypal either. You have to use your head and think to best protect yourself from scammers... If you have a bad feeling about a deal, you may be right...

Paypal does give you some protection, but I've seen where they have not always been helpful, and there is a thread on that here also....

You got it, Paypal does't solve all the problems, but it does help. The reason these guys are getting away currently is there is nothing to tie them to the money other than an email address. PayPal requires a bank account and other information that would make this a more sophisticated scam.

Basically they lure you into a moneygram because the deal is good enough to make you think it is worth the risk. 1000 emails would not have got this transaction to paypal, since they know they would be exposed.

So only paypal? No there are a couple of old timers on here that only accept USPS Money orders that I have dealt with. However they are established members with 1000's of posts and good feedback.

I'm sorry you lost out on this, based on the number of forums I have seen this exact scam on, I doubt you will ever see that money or part.

-
Back