RMS front suspension on 63 valiant?

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
Has anyone else done the rms front suspension on a 63 valiant. I did mine about 10 yrs ago. I have a 400 bb and inorder to keep oil pan 4 inch off ground i have to keep the adjustable shocks adjusted most of the way up making the front soooo hard. Can't get the oil pan i really need anymore. I am using pan recommend by bill 10 yrs ago and still had to cut 2 inch off. Bill says i have it together properly. I have just lived with it. You can feel every stone on the road. Have 24 x5 front tires. Can't go any taller. Any thoughts.????

If you need to keep the valving turned all the way up, sounds like your springs might be too soft.

Something you may consider is utilizing the HDK (100%) bolt on 64-66 A body upper shock mount / chromoly support hoop (@$349 plus shipping) that will allow for a longer travel / longer spring. Although sellers of the short shock packages tend to disagree, IMO the longer the travel, the longer the spring.....the nicer (less harsh) the ride. The HDK upper shock mount / chromoly support hoop modification will also allow you to move your hubs inward (easily 3/4") IF you are willing to shorten your upper and lower control arms. I have several builders that have done this mod with very positive results.

I'm curious to how much your springs are collapsing at installed ride height?

Feel free to call to discuss,
Denny
HDK
304-939-0097

Last edited:
Something you may consider is utilizing the HDK (100%) bolt on 64-66 A body upper shock mount / chromoly support hoop (@$349 plus shipping) that will allow for a longer travel / longer spring. Although sellers of the short shock packages tend to disagree, IMO the longer the travel, the longer the spring.....the nicer (less harsh) the ride. The HDK upper shock mount / chromoly support hoop modification will also allow you to move your hubs inward (easily 3/4") IF you are willing to shorten your upper and lower control arms. I have several builders that have done this mod with very positive results.

I'm curious to much are your springs collapsing at installed ride height?

Feel free to call to discuss,
Denny
HDK
304-939-0097

Do you have photos of this kit that allows for a longer travel shock? What spring length can they run?

Do you have photos of this kit that allows for a longer travel shock? What spring length can they run?

The most common combination is a 12" spring with a Qa1 DD (double adjustable) or DS (single adjustable) 501
QA1 DS501 QA1 Proma Star Coilover Shocks | Summit Racing

HDK 64 to 66 A Body Upper Shock Mount Support Hoops

IMO, the RMS (copied by Control Freak and Gerst) upper shock mount bracket that attaches to the K limits the shock and spring length and also forces the spindle further outward (for coil spring clearance). It is not a bash, it is just their design / function.

According to bill at rms they at the 450 spring pressure. Can't get a bigger spring in it. Thanks for asking.

I think you are confusing the function of spring rate with the function of compression / rebound dampening setting on the shock.

The spring only holds the car up and should be collapsing approx 25-33% at installed height. The drag race guys like it collapsing more towards the 33% end of the scale to utilize any stored energy like a smaller / 6 cyl torsion bar would. Example...a 10" spring should be collapsing anywhere from 7-1/2" (25%) to roughly 6-5/8" (33%). With your car on the ground and all the weight on it, (installed ride height), if the spring is not collapsing to 7-1/2", the spring is too stiff. If the spring is collapsing more than 6-5/8", the spring is too soft.

The compression / rebound dampening has nothing to do with holding the car up, it only makes the shock go in (compression) and out (rebound) easy or hard. For what it is worth, on my all aluminum Hemi Duster w/ A/C, I run 325 lb / 12"springs that compress to 8-1/4" (about 30%) and I run the shock on the softest setting.

Hope my input helps,
Denny

Last edited:
The most common combination is a 12" spring with a Qa1 DD (double adjustable) or DS (single adjustable) 501
QA1 DS501 QA1 Proma Star Coilover Shocks | Summit Racing

HDK 64 to 66 A Body Upper Shock Mount Support Hoops

IMO, the RMS (copied by Control Freak and Gerst) upper shock mount bracket that attaches to the K limits the shock and spring length and also forces the spindle further outward (for coil spring clearance). It is not a bash, it is just their design / function.

Do your torsion bar eliminator LCA's utilize the stock LCA pivot pin? Also, do you have any photos of how the LCA rear support bracket attaches to the LCA or pivot pin?

no on the OEM pin / shaft. HDK supplies a new longer pin /pivot shaft that goes thru the LCA bushings and attach to the HDK bolt on rear support brackets putting the LCA in a double shear.

20150828_123549_resized.jpg

Last edited:
how's that?.....not my biggest seller, the complete k packages are by far, but over 260 sold!

picture is in mock up.... without the larger 5/8 poly loc-nuts used in final assembly.

20150827_083155_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Picture is with HDK supplied ride height simulator used in mock up. The simulator in the longest setting simulating the installed ride height average (14-1/4") of the Qa1 DS-501 w/ 5-3/8 travel. The DS 501 extends to 17" and fully compresses to 11-5/8"

The DS-501 uses a 12" spring.

Please note how much higher in the chassis the upper shock mount is than the other brands. Also note how much shorter the control arms are.....the set-up allow the hub to be further tucked in....about an 1"

12110.jpeg

Last edited:
posts 9 an 10 are replying to the mopowers post 8. OEM K and steering with HDK components for the coil over only conversion.

HDK Single Lower arm Torsion Bar Eliminator Kit

post 11 and 12 are a reply to mopowers post 4. Pics are of a 67-76 HDK rack and pinion / coil over conversion installed in a 68 Dart

-
Back