road car cam for my 318

-
* without 4.56 gears, a 3500 converter, or a 360/stroker.

I've got a car that has a high compression 340, lower gears, bigger cam, looser converter, but I don't think I would drive it on a 6000 mile road trip. :lol: That's why I built a different Dart for that use, just trying to refine it.

Since the OP don't want stock or the cam he's got probably any cam halfway between the two will do.

This thread my be the winner, or at least in the running for "best thread about a realistic 318 cam*".
almost but not quite! it's not 10 pages yet, nobody has said to trash it and get a 360, nobody's mentioned uncle tony yet, and there's nothing here about mama, or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting drunk.

EDIT: i stand corrected

Last edited:
...of course there's the XE cam series high ramp rate and the break in cycle.

...and possibly clatter.

Funny thing is if these cams were so great can't find much about them.

The few lsa cam shootouts show about a 3 lbs-ft average per degree of lsa so if held about the same for this engine a 112 vs 108 probably be around 12 lbs-ft at peak torque.
*whispers* the first rule about super awesome totally radical secret cam club is that you don't talk about super awesome totally radical secret cam club!

and no doy! there's no info out there because if you have a super awesome totally radical secret cam you don't want everybody else to have the same super awesome totally radical secret cam!

Pretty sure this lobe 5222 is his cam currently.
Don’t think it would be my first choice lugging at 1500rpm in a 318 and looking for fuel efficiency.

IMG_4712.jpeg

Not if his location is anything like Southern California. We cruise at 85mph here. If you’re going 60mph you’re getting run over.

lol it just ain’t California anymore. I had to make a drive yesterday and I was running 10 over the speed limit (80 mph) and I was got passed by two semi trucks (got by them again as soon as we hit a hill) and I don’t know how many cars.

So it’s not just California any more.

I've got a car that has a high compression 340, lower gears, bigger cam, looser converter, but I don't think I would drive it on a 6000 mile road trip. :lol: That's why I built a different Dart for that use, just trying to refine it.

My question would be how did you come up with the cam you have?

And when you have tested 19,000 + cams, I will take your advice. Until then......
You’d think a guy who has tested 19,000 would destroy everyone else in a camshaft challenge, yet Vizard didn’t do so well.

683D160B-39A8-48D2-8C6E-2A8FE21B7D9C.png

87C515EC-E675-4A1E-A538-0377A80A047C.png

I bought a built engine that was available after someone's project took a different direction. I didn't pick the cam. The engine was generally well built with quality parts and the price was right, but after driving it for some long trips it was clear that it wasn't ideal so I am considering changing the cam and am looking for input. I am considering other changes in how the car is set up but the current cam seems out of whack with the whole project.

I'm thinking of going to 3.23 gears but that still leaves the car running a good deal of the time outside the optimal range of the current cam.

You’d think a guy who has tested 19,000 would destroy everyone else in a camshaft challenge, yet Vizard didn’t do so well.
ah! a chart with data!!

anyway, to use a term from the youts: the vizzard offering is mid

which no surprises there.

anyway, take away the top 10% and the bottom 10% and look how close those cams are in peaks (both total and avg), i'd love to see the curves, that would tell the tale of the tape. because who cares if you're making 600hp between 5~6500 if you're driving your car on the street with 3.23's

ah! a chart with data!!

anyway, to use a term from the youts: the vizzard offering is mid

which no surprises there.

anyway, take away the top 10% and the bottom 10% and look how close those cams are in peaks (both total and avg), i'd love to see the curves, that would tell the tale of the tape. because who cares if you're making 600hp between 5~6500 if you're driving your car on the street with 3.23's
Yea but look at the winner. It made;
1.best peak power
2.best peak torque
3.best average power
4.best average torque

That’s freakin incredible and either a guy that knows what the F he’s doing or got very lucky. That’s the kind of performance you’d expect from Vizard if you were so inclined to think he was the almighty cam god. Which I don’t.

What do you mean by that ?

If you look at the lobes graphically you see the overlap triangle.

What I called for decades split overlap. I didn’t call it the overlap triangle until Billy Godbold used the term in an article.

If the LSA and the ICL are different than the overlap triangle can be centered or not.

I have long been a proponent of split overlap cam timing. If you have to roll the ICL forward to make the cam do something it’s not doing you need a different cam.

Some of the cams in the chart above don’t have the ICL so I’d be guessing on if they had the overlap triangle centered or not.

What did Eric's testing prove? The only thing that I can see is this: if you have all these variables such as pick any LSA you like, pick any duration you like, pick any valve lift you like, pick any lobe series you like........surprise, surprise......someone will be the winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what this test proved, nothing else. It was a joke & if the believers think this test proved something, I am waiting to here what it is.......
It is like testing two cyl heads, one with higher CR & better flowing ports....& being surprised that the high CR head won....

-
Back