Road Trip

-

MR4V

Reaction score
Hi All
I'm coming over to your fine country in August & September.
Wanting to go to a few local car shows, drag meets, swap meets, speed shops, night or day dinner runs also any good museums or local dinners that you can recommend eating in.

Here's were & when I will be traveling.
Nashville 25th-27th August
Memphis 27th-29th August
Branson 29th-30 August
Tulsa 31st August
El Reno 1st September
Armarillo 2nd September
Albuqerque 3rd September
Holbrook 4th September
Williams 5th-6th September
Kingman 7th September
Los Vagas 8th-10th September
San Francisco 10th-14th September
LA 17th-22nd September

When in LA I'm hoping the Pomona swap is on, any suggestions during this time is helpful.

Cheers

Wow a month away, way kool! However I don't see Colorado on your list so I have no ideas for you. Though if in Memphis I would go see Graceland as I'm an Elvis fan!

Hi All
I'm coming over to your fine country in August & September.
Wanting to go to a few local car shows, drag meets, swap meets, speed shops, night or day dinner runs also any good museums or local dinners that you can recommend eating in.

Here's were & when I will be traveling.
Nashville 25th-27th August
Memphis 27th-29th August
Branson 29th-30 August
Tulsa 31st August
El Reno 1st September
Armarillo 2nd September
Albuqerque 3rd September
Holbrook 4th September
Williams 5th-6th September
Kingman 7th September
Los Vagas 8th-10th September
San Francisco 10th-14th September
LA 17th-22nd September

When in LA I'm hoping the Pomona swap is on, any suggestions during this time is helpful.

Cheers

Sounds like a great road trip.

While in Nashville you might slip over to Chattanooga, TN and visit
Honest Charlies Speed Shop. Saw it June 9th while on the Hot Rod
Power Tour. Neat place.

http://www.honestcharley.com/

Have a great visit and welcome!

MR4V, if you care to stop by on your way from Memphis to Branson, Missouri, it would be an honor to meet you! Depending on what time you get here, I might even be able to feed ya ... yessss, I cook too. :-D My shop is a few hundred feet off Highway 45E and my phone number is in every one of my posts.

Have a wonderful trip!

What's your plans while in memphis? I'm on the road between Memphis and Branson so we've got to hook up. I can even meet ya in Memphis and show ya some blues music and do some BBQ. I'll PM ya my cell # and you call when ya need to. What will be your mode of travel? Rental car? Let me know and as i need to see Leanna anyway maybe we can take a slight detour her way. What the hell. Ya gotta meet the infamous MeMike. Let's make a trip out of it. The drags in our neck of the woods happens on saturday nights. There may be something going on at Memphis Motorsports park the saturday night your in Memphis. Mike would know about that. Let me know where you'll be staying. How will we recognise ya? Do ya look anything like Crocadile Dundee? Just gotta laugh.
Small Block

What's your plans while in memphis? I'm on the road between Memphis and Branson so we've got to hook up. I can even meet ya in Memphis and show ya some blues music and do some BBQ. I'll PM ya my cell # and you call when ya need to. What will be your mode of travel? Rental car? Let me know and as i need to see Leanna anyway maybe we can take a slight detour her way. What the hell. Ya gotta meet the infamous MeMike. Let's make a trip out of it. The drags in our neck of the woods happens on saturday nights. There may be something going on at Memphis Motorsports park the saturday night your in Memphis. Mike would know about that. Let me know where you'll be staying. How will we recognise ya? Do ya look anything like Crocadile Dundee? Just gotta laugh.
Small Block

Some blues music and do some BBQ in Memphis for sure Bill :cheers:
and a trip to CudaChick1968 to, Memphis Motorsports park was sold to the rail road and shut down :angry7: I will never understand why :angry7:
Let me know when and where Small Block "brother Bill" :-D

Sounds like a great road trip.

While in Nashville you might slip over to Chattanooga, TN and visit
Honest Charlies Speed Shop. Saw it June 9th while on the Hot Rod
Power Tour. Neat place.

Looks like Chattanooga is about 120 miles away, yes you are right Honest Charlies looks cool

MR4V, if you care to stop by on your way from Memphis to Branson, Missouri, it would be an honor to meet you! Depending on what time you get here, I might even be able to feed ya ... yessss, I cook too. :iconbigg: My shop is a few hundred feet off Highway 45E and my phone number is in every one of my posts.

Yes love to meet you, we have all day to go from Memphis to Branson, maps are a bit decieving how much travel time should we allow?

Small Block

Hi Small Block
This is a self drive guided tour, so hire car is mode of transport. No tours are booked so the wife & I have the freedom to do basicly what we want.
Local knoweldge of Beale St would be fantastic like to have some BBQ.
I will organise a cell soon & let you know.
Do not look like Mick Dundee but the wife wishes I was George Clooney.

From Memphis to my place, West Plains, Mo. it is 3 hrs on the bike. From my place to Branson is about 2 hrs. Out of Memphis you take 55 north to 63 north. Take that all the way to West Plains over into the edge of Missouri. Should be able to see that. From my place there are a couple of roads to take depending on whether you are wanting the scenic route or the 4 lane. I'll PM you contact info. Leanna is about 1.5 hrs northeast of Memphis so in answer to you question on traveling time, yes you can make the round in a day and be in Branson that night at a decent time.
Small Block

Come on there has to be local cruise nights, swap meets, Drag meetings, college football games, local dinners, sight seeing & museums in the cities & towns we are going to during this time.
Looks like I will miss out on the famous Pomona swap meet as it is on 15th August & the 17th October.

MR, I'm not familiar with the car happenings in the Memphis area but i'm thinking there are those that are more bashful than i that do know, so maybe they will pop up and volunteer some needed info for ya. I'll keep up a search on my end for ya. There will be a lot to do in Branso. They do have some auto museums and always some group of car clubs cruising around.
Small Block

You might consider this instead of the Pomona Swap Meet http://www.petersen.org/ ... I've never been :-( but I'll bet it's awesome.

The only time I've been to Memphis was driving through in the middle of the night when I was moving to Tennessee from Louisiana. I can't help there either.

The U.S. has "Chambers of Commerce," formal organizations for business, in most every major (and minor) city. They're great first contacts to find out what's going on and when. This is a link to the Community page for the Greater Memphis Chamber of Commerce, http://www.memphischamber.com/Community.aspx. Since their main focus is to lure businesses, individiuals, tourism, etc., to their local areas, most will mail you a free "welcome packet" just for the asking.

I wish I could be more help. I gotta get out of the shop more often. :-D

Cool MR4V. Wish you could make it to Monster Mopar Weekend in St.Louis the 2nd weekend in Sept. I'm only 40 miles from it so we make it every year. Are you going to have a way to get on the computer and post updates when your here?

Thanks All
Yes Petersens in LA is now on the cards & I will now search for other " Chamber of Commerce Community Pages"
I should be able to log on at any internet cafe start a new thread & keep you all updated if you want.
Cheers

Sounds like a great trip MR4V 8)

Holbrook is a cute little town rich in American Indian history. Should be alot of Navajo, Hopi & Apache tribe info for you to marvel. If you have time, check out the Petrified Forest Nat'l Park.

You'll like Williams. Very tourist friendly.......Be sure to reserve a spot on the Grand Canyon Railway in advance as it sometimes fills up ahead of time.

Blow thru Kingman and hit Vegas a day early or go to Laughlin, Nevada instead of Kingman. Laughlin is a mini Vegas right on the Colorado River and less than an hours drive from Kingman. ;)

Have fun and enjoy your stay in the states!! Take lots of pictures.

Sounds like a great trip MR4V 8)

Holbrook is a cute little town rich in American Indian history. Should be alot of Navajo, Hopi & Apache tribe info for you to marvel. If you have time, check out the Petrified Forest Nat'l Park.

You'll like Williams. Very tourist friendly.......Be sure to reserve a spot on the Grand Canyon Railway in advance as it sometimes fills up ahead of time.

Blow thru Kingman and hit Vegas a day early or go to Laughlin, Nevada instead of Kingman. Laughlin is a mini Vegas right on the Colorado River and less than an hours drive from Kingman. ;)

Have fun and enjoy your stay in the states!! Take lots of pictures.

Yes going to the Petrified Forest, I did not know that there was a Grand Canyon Railway, we are hopping to do a fly through if it's not to expensive.
Going to Kingman as the 1st owner od my 73 Dart Swinger lives there.

My opinion;Turlock swap meet in ca better than Pomona.Close to Merced,Modesto-American Grafitti town.Always weekend car shows cruise ins.

Done told the wife about your travels and informed her that we'd be going to Memphis that weekend. No arm twisting there as she loves Memphis and Beale Street, Blues, BBQ, and the "Big *** Beers". For your benefit they probably have Fosters........or tea. You got Treava tuned up Mike? Leanna you need to come on down and get out of the shop for a day. I think we'll head that way on Friday evening and spend the night and maybe we can show you around Satuday. Leanna, you have a PM.
Small Block

MR4V, I live about 20 miles south of Nashville. The downtown area is a great place to visit, specifically the Broadway section starting at the Cumberland River and moving up through 1st-4th Avenues. The Opryland Hotel is a marvel in and of itself; you can get lost inside the place w/o a map. It's located away from the downtown area off Interstate 40 east of Nashville proper.
If you enjoy music, a walk along Broadway in the evening will give you a number of places, such as Tootsies, where musician play for tips and try to get "discovered" and break into the music business. Many of them are very talented performers, making it a worthwhile experience.
My Bride and I should be in town those days you're here, so as it gets closer in time we can chat some more about it and firm up some plans.

Karl, you maybe on the road now but we do have reservations at the Marriot about 4 blocks from Beale Street. We'll be there saturday about noon so i'll be trying to look ya up. You have my cell #. Post yours up if you have got one yet or better, just call me.
Small Block

Just got back from Memphis meeting with Karl and Donna. Some super fine people from the other side of the world. If they're coming through your neck of the world and you dont hook up with em, you'll be missing out. Hooked up with em at BB Kings on Beale Street and spent the evening sharing great conversation and some good cold drinks. Met em Sunday morning for breakfast and could talk as we didn't have the loud Beale Street music to try and yell over. The wife enjoyed it totally and you will also. If ya feel you'll be able to take advantage of this great opportunity, PM me and i'll give ya his traveling cell number. They'd be glad to meet ya and get a feel for your part of the world.
Small Block

-
Back