Road trip

-

n00blike

Reaction score
When i graduate i want to take a road trip across the US. After watching cars (yeah i liked it!) I thought "hey that would be cool! drive route 66 and come across a few cool towns"

but im not sure in how good of a condition it's in. Anyone here ever take a road trip like that?

Im really not sure where i want to end up but going to the place my duster was built would be cool.

Any "must drive" places you guys know of?

Maybe see those classic roadside 'attractions' and cool little old towns.

I have a few years to 'plan' this ,planed trips never seem to be as fun, so tell me what you guys think!

Your on the right track, route 66 (whats left of it) and highway 50 are some good old wighways to go down. 50 goes all the way across the US to the east coast, it starts in California. 66 goes All the way to Chicago. I live in Missouri and both roads pass through my state. Heres the catch though, at least with 66, through alot of cities its hard to find or keep on. In Missouri alone it goes from being a service road to part of the main highway, then back to being a serice road a couple of times. There is someone on ebay who actually sells maps that help guide you east or west bound on 66. I bought them and they are nice. They tell you what exit to get off and were to keep on as much of 66 that still is around. Out west you can stay on more of it for longer periods.

66 and 50 are on my list. Just to keep you interested check out this link. A guy logs his experience on this websit. He goes from Oregon and starts on 50 in Cali and then goes all the way to chicago, then he turns around and goes 66 on the way home........in a 64 dart convertible. Very cool. Its worth a read and lots of pics http://www.richardfranke.com/r5066/chronrep.html

Also there is a magazine i want to subscrib to called American Road Magazine. Its only a quartly (4issues), but it covers traveling American roads.

Heres a few pics from the link above

p9678mc.jpg

p9727m.jpg

p9741m.jpg

p9868mc.jpg

p10066mc.jpg

p10170m.jpg

p10192m.jpg

p10280m.jpg

Be sure to check out some of our national parks and monuments while you're out seeing the country. Carlsbad Caverns, Zion Nat'l Park, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Estes Nat'l Park, Craters of the Moon Nat'l Park, are all good choices, and there's also the smaller lesser known parks that are just as good and not as "touristy".

And stop at the small Mom & Pop eateries along the way. You'll find some of the best regional foods that you may not find anywhere else.

It's a BIG country and there's a LOT to see. Enjoy yourself and stay safe!!!

Ive been thinking about doing the same thing after i graduate in may. not sure where i want to go, mabe down to Atlanta georgia and take the long way back, mabe the west coast and hit vegas on the way....i would just go the same rout i am and just drive8) dont need maps, just go where you want

Yeah i plan on eating at as many dinners, truck stops, and mom and pop places as i can!

Where is that place that has the giant tree with a hole that you can drive through? The tree is like 20ft wide!

nice link!

Bro, its in northern California, just up the coast from San Fran I think. You could to that in a weekend

Where is that place that has the giant tree with a hole that you can drive through? The tree is like 20ft wide!

That is in a small town called Leggett, it is about 45 miles south of Eureka on highway 101. If oyu go up that way be sure to take the
ave. of the Giants. Very nice drive thro the Redwoods

We did quite a bit of Route 66 4 years ago. We did it in the "foreign junk"
(the wifey's BMW Z3).

My daughter had given me the book written by Michael Wallis "Route 66
the Mother Road". We tried to find the places shown in the book and
got autographs from the current owners. Made for an interesting trip.

Arizona was our destination, so we did not make it to California.

ARIZONA_004.JPG

ARIZONA_002.JPG

ARIZONA_005.JPG

ARIZONA_003.JPG

ARIZONA_006.JPG

ARIZONA_007.JPG

ARIZONA_008.JPG

ARIZONA_013.JPG

Autograph from Ed......owner of the Motel outside Rolla, Missouri

motel.jpg

BTW great pictures from DodgeNut64

You will have a great time if you take the trip! Go for it.

-
Back