road tripping

-

Muad'Dib15

Reaction score
So me and my dad went to buy a motorhome for his new potential job out in ND. Specifically, this one: http://www.viewrvs.com/a/airstream/1988/1988_345_d.php that exact one. And coming back, I developed some tips and rules that should be known when attempting to do these sort of things.

Rules for Road tripping: What is happening is we are towing a tow dolly down to Lexington, behind my mom's Tahoe, then were going to use the tow dolly to haul the Tahoe back so we would only have to drive one vehicle back instead of two.
1. ALWAYS REMEMBER THE WRENCH! This only applies if the vehicle being hauled back is an automatic. Which means that if you don't have wrench to unbolt the driveshaft from the diff, you are screwed.
2. NEVER! take a 2001 - 2005 mid to full size GM SUVs (Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, etc.) with leather seats. They will hurt your *** after 3 hours of sitting in them. If you're driving well sucks to be you, everyone else can move around, you can't. Now Airstream leather seats are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more comfortable.
3. ties back to # 1, if you forget the wrench, well you get to tow a (now useless) tow dolly 400 miles home through Chicago rush hour (the Saturday equivalent). not fun. Make sure you have towed something before attempting this...
4. Playing follow the leader in Chicago rush hour is not fun either.
5. Even though the speed limit in Indiana on I65 is 70 mph, in reality it's 85.
6. Audi drivers are now as big of pricks as BMW drivers.
7. bring music. It makes the drive much more enjoyable.
8: take moments to laugh at your dad, it's not often you will see him drift off the road onto the rumble strips on the side. (8 times btw)
9: Make sure you bring/(don't lose your) cellphone. Charades at 70 mph, may seem fun, but isn't fun if you both are driving.
10: Construction is scary as hell if you have never towed before.
11: The back end of an Airstream 345 looks like a subway car with a Pig that has a mustache on the bottom. (the two center tail lights eyes, the spare tire holder snout, the sweeper things on the bottom, the mustache)

But hey, at least I drove 400 miles in a Tahoe with rocks for seats. I probably wouldn't have been able to drive through Indiana with out my dad getting all weird. that would have been my first time driving something longer than an SUV AND my first time towing something more than 10 miles at the same time(I had to pick up the dolly and then go straight to my dad's work and pick him up) All in all, a good Friday evening and Saturday.

Well....as long as we had fun......all is worth while.....it's what you make it....

Uh...... :dontknow: Couldn't you have bought a wrench for less than the cost of the gas to drive the second vehicle back? Just sayin'..... But, yeah, as long as you had a good time....:banghead:

I like the Airstream. Cool! \\:D/

1. ALWAYS REMEMBER THE WRENCH! This only applies if the vehicle being hauled back is an automatic. Which means that if you don't have wrench to unbolt the driveshaft from the diff, you are screwed.

6. Audi drivers are now as big of pricks as BMW drivers.

for number one i just saw a samurai being pulled behind a motorhome... for 10 miles i hear this clunk-clack-bang noise... finally get next to him and the driveshaft must have slipped out of the trans cuz it was floppin around like a fish!

and for number 6 you must be a TOP GEAR UK fan lol... me to

that airstream is COOL!
a friend of mine is finally getting a mopar after to many years without one, so we are doing a road trip next weekend to go get it, I will make use of some of your rules

Uh...... :dontknow: Couldn't you have bought a wrench for less than the cost of the gas to drive the second vehicle back? Just sayin'..... But, yeah, as long as you had a good time....:banghead:

I like the Airstream. Cool! \\:D/

The funny thing is, we had to go to Walmart to get a trailer hitch that would fit the motor home since the one on the Tahoe was too short. There was a whole section of the store devoted to tools. It was about 100 miles into the drive back when I realized we could have bought a 10 mm wrench there... by then my dad decided to just skip trying to put the Tahoe on the back and just keep going.

-
Back