Rocker adjustment 273 solid cam

-

bill paynter

67 Cuda
Reaction score
what should my rocker adjustment be on my 67 273
I was told by the speed shop .028 in & .032 exh.
but receintly saw a few post saying .013/021

cam is a 509/ 292 purple shaft not sure if that matters

My factory service manual says .013 intake and .021 exhaust. I would think there would be lash specs on the cam card that came with the cam.
toolmanmike

I am going to use that same cam in a 318 with stock adjustable rockers. Would my lash be the same?

:axe:

what should my rocker adjustment be on my 67 273
I was told by the speed shop .028 in & .032 exh.
but receintly saw a few post saying .013/021

cam is a 509/ 292 purple shaft not sure if that matters
thats ^ a BigBlock Hyd. cam
508/292 is the SmallBlock Hyd.cam
the lash would be zero.

So, do you adjust it to zero lash, or do you want the plunger in the middle of it's travel?

If its a hydraulic cam you need some preload, usually .020 to .060" is whats specified. Most people try and set the preload to the smaller side - ie .020 to avoid lifter pump up. For most set ups the adjustment procedure is to just take the slack out of the valve train, then 1/2 a turn more. Tighten the lock nut to no more than 25 ft lbs (if so equipped).

it's not a Hyd. cam it's Defiantly a solid
and yes it's way to big for this little motor but sure sounds cool

it's not a Hyd. cam it's Defiantly a solid
and yes it's way to big for this little motor but sure sounds cool
hmmmmmm
a 509/292 PurpleShaft Solid Lifter Camshaft for a SmallBlock MoPar. I musta missed the press release.
are you sure ITS not the 296° Mechanical: P4120655? do the lifter have a clip on top of the lifter?
Did you buy it from a dealer/jegs/summit?
or from a private party? they might have thrown in
Solid Lifters with your Hydraulic cam. is it Installed (sorry.. had to ask)? becouse the 509 is a BigBlock Hyd.Cam.

is the 509 a circle track solid grind? lol.. if it is just label me a RETARD!

Never seen a 292/509 solid grind myself. Unless it's the old .528 solid with the lash pulled out, but it's not 292* IIRC.

No the Smallblock is the 292/.508 grind is a drag style grind. Most everyone I know calls it the .509 as it's consistent with the big block numbers.

Retard alert is now turned off... :cheers:

hi, the mopar 509 requires .028 and .032 lash for solid lifter. cams all have their own lash specs. follow them! BTW, set hyd at zero lash, + 1/8 turn. new style lifters don't need deep plunger depth. by setting at 1/8 turn, will not have lifter pump up at RPM. makes it like a solid lifter cam, old trick from way back.

hi, the mopar 509 requires .028 and .032 lash for solid lifter. cams all have their own lash specs. follow them! BTW, set hyd at zero lash, + 1/8 turn. new style lifters don't need deep plunger depth. by setting at 1/8 turn, will not have lifter pump up at RPM. makes it like a solid lifter cam, old trick from way back.

I agree with you about the smaller preload setting on hydraulic lifters. I generally run .010 on them when spinning hydraulics hard.

10 preload works really well, even without mega rpms. in case of the solid cam.. can't go wrong
with the 30/30 lash (cold). seems to be the best setting i found for solid MoPar cams.

Never thought to look up the cam to see if it was solid or hydraulic. I gave you stock 273 solid lifter cam specs. I always adjusted hydraulics at 0 lash
plus 1/2 a turn. toolmanmike

-
Back