Rocker arm geometry.

-

IQ52

Reaction score
Or rather.....Correct Rocker arm geometry collateral damage.

The things you learn about rocker geometry after spending money on what looked like great stuff.

I'm attempting to clean up a few things and then go on to time the cam in the 540.

So I took the Indy EZ heads off and the cam out of 'Pop's 440' yesterday and went to put the rocker arm hold downs into the storage drawer.....and wow.......I come across these things that are now completely useless.....to me.....thanks to my research and B3RE. Some expensive stuff and I still have some in unopened boxes.

holddowns 001.JPG

Last edited:
I’m sure that someone else here will have use for them. Are those studs 3/8-16 X 3/8-24?

I'm currently trying to get the rocker arm geometry correct on a 440 build. I recently purchased a set of roller rockers and MP pushrods that you cut to the proper length. Once I receive the rockers I'm going to see if that corrects the issue. The ductile iron adjustable rockers I have now are too far off for my comfort. 65'

Every brand has their own geometry. The Comp Magnums I had were biased towards the exhaust ports on the tip. You can only relocate them so much too when you start to get high lifts the push rod tunnel becomes an issue to be aware of as can the retainer. Valve tip height come into play too. Lot of things to look for to get it right.

I know it costs a fair bit more, but I prefer to mill off the cast in stands and use individual rockers on a bedplate when the application allows. They’re shim-able and allow for easier accessibility to a single pushrod or valvespring.

The fix 'by the time you buy a geometry correction kit and longer push rods' ends up costing $340.00-$380.00
So after everything else we complain about costing too much ...can one afford it is what it comes down to. It's the cost of buying a roller cam, seat and guide work, bore n hone. ..but just like those...the kit will help make more power and keep it as stable as the spring is.
The 1.5 aluminum rockers, the cheap ones most run away from... actually look to have decent geometry or at least a ton better than comps or prw. PRW 1.6 and comp 1.5 land in the same spot. If the aluminum were bushed I'd put them in street use.

Last edited:
-
Back