rocker arm shaft

-

dennyscuda

Reaction score
hi, i am rebuilding a 1965 273 and need rocker arm shafts for solid lifters and i am having trouble finding them , anybody know where i can find them, thanks

I'm thinking there is nothing special same as hyd shafts someone will chime in.

all the shafts i have found for 1965 say they are for hydr, every parts house says they have for hydr but not solid

Nothing different. Used standard 340 shafts in my 340 with solid cam. Oil still has to get to the rockers....

The only difference in rocker shafts that I know of are the "Banana Grove" from the 340 T/A engines.

According to Larry Shepard in "How to Hot Rod Small Block Mopar Engines" he states that the 273 mechanical set up used a rocker shaft similar to the hydraulics. From that I would infer you can take a hyd shaft and put your 273 adjustable rockers on, OR buy a set of Banana Grove shafts from Mancini.

Others may have differing opinions.

FWIW...... I checked some 273 adjustable rocker shafts with banana grooves versus stamped rocker shafts, and the oiling holes in the adjustable banana groove shafts were significantly smaller but there are 2 per rocker so the total flow area is the same.

Banana grooving is just a groove that you could put in with an air cut-off wheel in any shaft. Long, narrow, tapered at the ends, and shallow, with the oil hole in the center, used to just spread the oil across the adjustable rockers' bores.

My 1967 273 with solid lifters came from the factory with rocker arm shafts having banana grooves. I now use those shafts on my W2 heads.

-
Back