rocker arms- what works and wont break the bank?

-
Pro Form is overseas stuff. Also.....if you go ductile, make sure you get bushed rockers, or make room in your budget to get them bushed. Non bushed rockers on a performance engine is a combination askin for trouble.

I think the best combo is the bushed/ductile. Now if I could only find offset bushed/ductile intake rockers for a stage VI head Id be laughing!

I wouldn't trust proform rockers in my beat up plow truck that doesn't leave the property. I run Crane gold roller rockers, 1.5 ratio. Haven't had any problems but might switch to Hughes 1.6 if I can sell my glass Duster fenders to offset the cost.

There's a fair amount of spread on the accuracy of rockers in the mid price range. I'f it was critical I'd say get the rockers before the cam and order one to compensate. The factory irons tend to be lower (I've seen 1.4-1.45ish. The Cranes were pretty close, 1.48-1.5. I havent checked the Iskys but I can't imagine they are any better than the others.

Installed the Hughes BB 1.5's 2 months ago, if they were correct I should have had .509" at the valve and that's exactly what I got. Also the geometry was perfect with no pedestal shimming required, I did have to reshim 1 rocker for side to side location, no biggy. Used their hold downs and bananna grooved shafts also.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 193
  • P1010071.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 180
I went to Pro Form's web page and looked up their rockers information. It states they have needle bearings in which you don't want. I've got a set of these type rockers and they're a living nightmare. The needles will bind on the shafts.... I smoothed up the shafts and re installed them and it was better but I wasn't real confident in them. I bought Comp Cam roller rockers later on. Don't get any rockers with needle bearings!

What about Racer Brown rockers? Aren't they comparable to crane golds or hughes or comps? I'm looking and thinking which to go with myself.

Pro Form is overseas stuff. Also.....if you go ductile, make sure you get bushed rockers, or make room in your budget to get them bushed. Non bushed rockers on a performance engine is a combination askin for trouble.

good info, wasnt sure on them, which is why i asked..thanks!

-
Back