Rocker Molding Clips

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
My 1974 Swinger has a 1 1/8" metal molding or trim piece along the rocker panel. I'm posting to let people know what the clips look like and how to remove the molding.

Here's where it was on the car. In addition to the clips, the molding is held on by a screw at the front and another at the rear. Remove those screws, then gently bend the molding away from the car just enough to see where the clips are, and carefully pry out the bottom edge of the molding below each clip. I used a carpenter's pry bar (with a 90 degree bend) and a piece of heavy paper to protect my paint. When it pops free, it will sound like something broke, but none of mine actually broke.
IMG_2521.JPG

The clips go on a metal stud resembling a nail head (not sure what you call that piece) that is welded (or riveted?) to the sheet metal. They say "UP" so you will know which way they go.
IMG_2522.JPG

The clips are almost exactly 1" wide. There are 8 of them.
IMG_2523.JPG

The back of the clip is stamped with PT NO 6003201 and 96322. As of 10/20/2018 someone is selling these on eBay for $25, as Cuda/Challenger parts. I'd bet RT Specialties has them too.
IMG_2524.JPG

This pic shows the molding piece is 1 1/8" wide. You can't tell from the photo but the cross section of it is almost an equilateral triangle.
IMG_2526.JPG

-
Back