Rocker recommendations?

-

73Scamp318

Reaction score
A little background on the combo first...

The car is a '73 Plymouth Scamp.
318 .030 over
about 10.5:1 CR
Comp 282 Solid 236*@.050, .495 gross lift
Victor 340 single plane intake
J heads rebuilt/ported by Aerohead (Indy)
1 5/8" headers to 2.5" duals
9.5" PTC converter (brake stalls @ 3500+)
3.91 gears
M&H DOT 26" bias plys

I pulled the valve covers off of my small block the other day to readjust the valves as they've been getting noisier lately. Just for kicks, I decided to pull the rockers off to check them out.

I've been using an old set of 273 rockers for quite some time now and they weren't in the best shape when I put them on. The rockers and shafts are now shot, both are galled pretty bad.

I'm looking at investing in a new set of rockers and shafts, possibly hold-downs, and would like some input. I've considered picking up another set of iron rockers, but the cost winds up being right in-line with roller rockers. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Racer Brown, Hughes, or Comp rockers.

I'm also trying to decide whether to go with 1.5 or 1.6 ratio rockers. The valve springs that are on it are good to .550 lift, so either should be okay.

So, any input or additional options? The car is about 50/50 street/strip and I would like to get at least a few years out of the rockers. I probably only put less than 5,000 miles on the car a year.

Thanks for any input and the great site! :thumleft:

I'd say go with Hughes roller rockers. They are definitely a good rocker...I have them on my stroker motor.

The folks at Crane Cams say they'll be shipping the Gold rollers again in early May so that might be something to consider too........

Comp cam magnum roller rockers...

Ditto, gottem. However, it should be stated, the other 2 above are also very very good units. I think the top 3 are mentioned here and in no order.

Any thoughts on what ratio to get? Should I source a new set of pushrods?

As a side note, I turned the engine over with one of the shafts removed, but the oil passage covered, so it didn't go all over the place. Should I be seeing a lot of oil or just a squirt every revolution?

Alright, so I got the rockers and they're installed, gotta say, they look real nice compared to the old ductile iron rockers.

One problem, the rockers hit the no-name chrome valve covers, so I need to get some new covers (for the time being, I'll be doubling up the gaskets).

Anyone have 1.6 ratio aluminum rockers on their small block? What valve covers are you running?

Alright, so I got the rockers and they're installed, gotta say, they look real nice compared to the old ductile iron rockers.

One problem, the rockers hit the no-name chrome valve covers, so I need to get some new covers (for the time being, I'll be doubling up the gaskets).

Anyone have 1.6 ratio aluminum rockers on their small block? What valve covers are you running?

Edelbrocks will clear, MP aluminum covers will clear, and the procomp sheetmetal covers clear.

run 2 gaskets and longer studs. Or go early hemi and clearance your old ones, great conversation starter...

I run the Comp Cams Pro Magnum rockers with .589" intake lift and they clear the stock '69 valve covers easily. The Hughes and Crane rockers are nice but they are bulky compared to the Comp Cams rockers.

Thanks for the options. I'm thinking I'll go with a set of cast aluminum covers to try and deaden the valvetrain noise a bit. It's quieter with the new rockers, but still sounds like a sewing machine with the solid cam. 8)

hmmm... my ohio crankshaft brand aluminum rockers clear the stock covers just fine.

The Hughes rockers are a nice piece, but they are little bulky. I have them on my 408 stroker with the W I D E mopar performance valve covers, which were totally unnecessary lol

-
Back