Rocker shaft not sitting flush in head

-

d100clubcab

Reaction score
Hey how's it going?

http://i.imgur.com/7UtBLS3.jpg

I'm trying to put my rocker arms back on but they won't sit flush in the head girdle thing. This doesn't seem right to me. Also, the rocker shaft bolts don't even snug down the retaininer/clip that separates the rockers.

Ideas????

You have some of the lifters on the high spot of the cam lobe. With non adjustable rockers you will have to compress the lifter and open the valve as you tighten the rocker shaft bolts. Tighten each bolt a little bit at a time. I snug things up from the center out. Make 5 or 6 passes back and forth until they are tight.

You have some of the lifters on the high spot of the cam lobe. With non adjustable rockers you will have to compress the lifter and open the valve as you tighten the rocker shaft bolts. Tighten each bolt a little bit at a time. I snug things up from the center out. Make 5 or 6 passes back and forth until they are tight.
Hmmmm so I need a spring compression tool to install this?

Hmmmm so I need a spring compression tool to install this?
No, not at all. Back off all the bolts and then start them in again tighten each one a turn at a time to keep the rocker assembly settling down evenly. Keep an eye on the pushrods to keep them in their cups on the rockers. Tighten them one turn at a time, evenly, and it will all snug up, and compress the appropriate valve springs, if you have the right bolts. Final torque on the bolts is 17 ft lbs, NOT 30 ft lbs as in some manuals.

BtW the above only applies if the heads are on the engine. If they are off of the engine, then the rocker shaft should fall into place.

No, not at all. Back off all the bolts and then start them in again tighten each one a turn at a time to keep the rocker assembly settling down evenly. Keep an eye on the pushrods to keep them in their cups on the rockers. Tighten them one turn at a time, evenly, and it will all snug up, and compress the appropriate valve springs, if you have the right bolts. Final torque on the bolts is 17 ft lbs, NOT 30 ft lbs as in some manuals.

BtW the above only applies if the heads are on the engine. If they are off of the engine, then the rocker shaft should fall into place.

Heads are on engine.
Those are the correct bolts.
I know about the ft lbs as I've already snapped one using that WRONG information that's posted online.
A couple guys here were thoughtful enough and came to my rescue by sending me replacement stock bolts.
I have a thread about it.

Thanks I'll try your inside out method

The rockers, bolts, retainers, and shafts all have specific positions. You need to verify this first prior to bolting them down. Make absolutely sure the pushrods are in the lifter cups. As you tighten the rocker assembly down evenly as stated in a prior post verify the tops of the pushrods are in the rocker sockets continually.

The rockers, bolts, retainers, and shafts all have specific positions. You need to verify this first prior to bolting them down. Make absolutely sure the pushrods are in the lifter cups. As you tighten the rocker assembly down evenly as stated in a prior post verify the tops of the pushrods are in the rocker sockets continually.

I have the two biggest retainers on the ends and the small ones in the middles.
All lifters are in their cups

And as mentioned above, the shafts have a certain orientation. The large hole on the underside of the shaft goes over the 2nd stand from the rear on the passenger's side, and over the 2nd stand from the front on the driver's side.

And as mentioned above, the shafts have a certain orientation. The large hole on the underside of the shaft goes over the 2nd stand from the rear on the passenger's side, and over the 2nd stand from the front on the driver's side.
Scanned at 9-24-2011 15-48 PM.jpg
shaft orient.jpg

Also the bolts used in these locations I believe are longer. Is there a chance he's got these mixed up also?

http://i.imgur.com/RXv6GA9.jpg

How do I "bump" the cam so it relieves pressure off the valve?
You can see how high one pushrod is sitting in this picture
If I could spin the motor/cam over I'd be able to have the valve/pushrod sit lower so I could tighten down the bolt

Last edited:
Long bolts on 2 & 4, shorts on 1, 3, 5.
.......If I could spin the motor/cam over I'd be able to have the valve/pushrod sit lower so I could tighten down the bolt
No, while you are tightening the shaft down continually check that the pushrods are in the rocker sockets. Back them off and get it in before you crank it and bend something.

Don't worry about rotating the cam. Just snug the bolts down evenly a little at a time making sure the pushrods are in position, just as everyone has already said. You're making this waaaayy too difficult.

Don't worry about rotating the cam. Just snug the bolts down evenly a little at a time making sure the pushrods are in position, just as everyone has already said. You're making this waaaayy too difficult.

Good news...
That worked for passenger side

Bad news....
It doesn't seem to be working for drivers side

Worst news....
Sinching down last bolt on passenger side and snapped it
#*(^@*(!&$)*()#*)(*#)$*(#()*% this is a family site so I'll hold some choice words for these grade 5 bolts
and I haven't found any grade 8 5/16-18 1-7/8" bolts

Dang, what springs do you have? Battleships? I guess I should have asked you why you took the rocker shafts off.

Take the rocker assembly back off. Screw in each bolt in the hole you plan to use them in. Insure that each turns smoothly with no tight spots. Run them in until they bottom out. Measure from the bottom of the saddle to the underside of the bolt head. Measure the diameter of the rocker shaft. If the distance from the saddle to the underside of the bolt is less than the diameter of the rocker shaft , remove the bolts and proceed with reassembly. If not, then your bolts are too long or the holes are full of gunk and/or oil.

-
Back