rocker shaft torque???

-
I put mine at 17-18 foot/pounds on my Eddy heads. Any more and you will distort the shaft which causes rockers to bind up.

It's weird but the Edelbrock instruction sheet calls for 25 ft./lbs. which I think is too much .I go with the stock heads specs. 200 in.-lbs. which is almost 17 ft.-lbs.

just make'em tight like the exhaust manifold bolts are.

I don't use a torque wrench on shaft bolts, just by feel.

If you do enough of'em you'll know when to stop.

Remember, it's only a 5/16 bolt....

yes 35 would be a 3/8 olt, 15-18 is enough with new bolts and lte amount of oil on them..:)

ok sounds good, thanks guys...i did them once before going off a book i had and i remember me an my buddy were like wtf thats alot.....

just make'em tight like the exhaust manifold bolts are.

I don't use a torque wrench on shaft bolts, just by feel.

If you do enough of'em you'll know when to stop.

Remember, it's only a 5/16 bolt....

I agree. So things torque is critical, some things it ain't. Years ago, I had a 383. I had the rocker shafts off of that thing more times than I can count. Never even considered torqueing them. Heads, flywheel bolts, rods, mains, stuff like that gets torqued.

I did the same thing once on a magnum head...followed the factory spec and snapped off an ARP stud flush with the pedestal. Man was I pissed off!!! It was the hardest thing to get that piece out of there.

less is fine and use some loctite. let it sit a while for the loctite to cure, and it's all good. go with the 17 ft lbs like suggested. It is indeed a small fastener and it doesnt take much to snap one. It wont go anywhere if properly done.

Yeah, my engine book says 35 also but that's for the W2/5 head with 3/8 bolts. 15-18 is more like it. I wonder how many people have snapped off shaft bolts using that books spec's.

-
Back