Rocker shafts

-

GTSDustin

Reaction score
I know there is a right and left rocker shaft, but can't remember which is which.. Can anybody tell me which way the "notch" goes? Thanks in advance

The notches are sometimes in the wrong place, so don't go by them if you wanto be 100% sure you have them installed right. The important thing is that the oil holes face down, 15° below the angle of the bolts, as shown in this diagram:
rockershaft.jpg

Rule of thumb for stock shafts which have the notches in the correct place is this: The driver side = notch to the front of engine and down, The passenger side = notch to the rear of engine and down.

notch under right pinkey, down as you are installing them. some aftermarkets dont have a notch so your looking at the oilers outboard of bolt holes on the bottom.

yes go by the oiling holes , but oem they were put in left front grove down , right grove in rear down, but by now you could have 2 of either also ,but the holes down or have machined threw for more oiling

weren't both shafts actually the same part, just one side installed with the notch down at the front, and the other notch installed down at the rear?

Ok thanks guys, I'm asking because I have to replace a noisy lifter anyways, figured now would be the time to switch around rocker shafts if needed. Thanks again

weren't both shafts actually the same part, just one side installed with the notch down at the front, and the other notch installed down at the rear?

I always thought it was 2 different parts. I think they are mirror-images.

Correct, same part. visualize it in your mind with you in the drivers seat, if you turn the DR shaft 180 end for end the notch will now be at the rear and the offset holes will be still kicked outward toward the fender

These are called siamese heads. Either fits left or right bank, just turned end to end.

These are called siamese heads. Either fits left or right bank, just turned end to end.

Exactly. There is no right or left head and so the shafts fit the heads exactly the same way, they are just turned the other direction.

Okay, makes sense. So as long as the oil holes are lined up, there is no left, right. Thanks guys

-
Back